I love all the different bites, sometimes you get sweet, sometimes sour and it's a bit zesty...
I'll be making this again:@)
Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad-from BHG, Aug 2013
1/2 C thinly sliced red onion-I had yellow
1/4 C cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
8 oz large elbow macaroni
12 hard-cooked eggs
1/2 C mayonnaise
3 Tblsp Dijon mustard
2 Tblsp water-optional-I did not add this
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika-I only had regular
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 C chopped sweet pickles-I had Gherkins
1 1/2 C thinly sliced celery
- In small saucepan combine onion, vinegar and sugar. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool. Reserve liquid.
- Cook macaroni per box instructions or to desired doneness. Drain and cool under running cold water, drain well.
- Coarsely chop one egg, set aside.
- Halve the remaining eggs and pop yolks into large bowl. Coarsely chop the whites and set aside.
- For dressing: Mash yolks, add mayo, mustard and reserved vinegar mixture from pickled onions, mix well. Gradually stir in 2 Tblsp water (if using, I honestly don't know why they'd suggest this), salt, paprika and pepper, set aside.
- Add everything to the dressing bowl and gently mix well.
- Sprinkle with additional paprika and pepper.
- Serve at once or store covered in the fridge.
- This calls for a lot of celery which I personally love! The cool, crisp bites are refreshing in warm weather, my son, however, would not share my enthusiasm:@) Adjust to suit your crowd.
- After I poured the vinegar into the dressing I did dice the pickled onions.
- If you have leftover homemade Pickled Onions you can use them instead of making their quick ones (omit the first three ingredients of this recipe).
- Salt is a personal thing, I felt it did need a little more.
- Sweet pickles can be many things... I'll be adding my Bread and Butter Jalapenos next time.
- Click HERE for "I promise you perfect" hard boiled eggs. It works folks, I've been making eggs like this for years and have only had one break while adding it to the pot.