Monday, April 14, 2014

Grandma Inez's Pineapple Meringue Pie

This is my second attempt at making Grandma Inez's Pineapple Meringue Pie. Take it from me, it works much better when you follow the directions:@) The first time I couldn't understand why my filling wasn't thickening up and turned around to find the cornstarch still in the measuring cup!!! The pie tastes amazing with a beautiful nicely set yellow fruit custard. I haven't met Grandma Inez but I highly recommend this pie and would like to thank her for the recipe!
I started with a thinner layer of meringue and spread that to the edges of the pie, then had some fun with a Wilton 1M tip to swirl the meringue. I think it split because I slid the wobbly foil pie plate off of the pan I baked it on while hot. I'd just let it cool on that pan the next time. Or make my own crust in a glass pie plate, even a better idea...
You might notice I don't have a pic of a cut piece... um, that's because we were all too busy eating:@) 
You'll love this one folks!

Grandma Inez's Pineapple Meringue Pie-from Tasty Kitchen
Pie:
3/4 C sugar-I cut back a bit
2 Tblsp butter
2 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
1/3 C cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C, plus 2 Tblsp water
8 oz can crushed pineapple
9" pre-baked pie crust-I used a purchased graham cracker crust

Meringue:
2 egg whites-I'd use 3 the next time
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
  1. Pie: Mix sugar, butter and egg yolks in a sauce pan with either a hand held mixer, whisk or spoon.
  2. Add cornstarch, vanilla, water and pineapple (juice and all), mix well making sure the yolks are well incorporated. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick, approx 15 minutes. Pour into pie shell.
  3. Meringue: Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add everything else and whip until stiff peaks form and it's smooth and glossy. 
  4. Spread meringue over pie and bake at 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes, or until the meringue has browned a bit.
  5. Can be served warm or cold but I think it's best eaten the day it's made.
Here are two more fun pineapple ideas for you: Pineapple Pie and Pineapple Cream Cheese Roll.
Have a sticky sweet happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday
Gooseberry Patch-Mother's Day Recipes

25 comments:

  1. Your meringue looks so lovely. I would never be able to make a pretty swirl pattern...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, I love meringue fruit pies! This one sounds so good. I don't think we would have any problem devouring it the day it was made. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a pineapple pie, much less a meringue topped one! It is gorgeous! Grandma was quite inventive, and is sounds dreamy divine!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tasted a pineapple pie, Lynn, but I know I would love it. Yours looks so pretty with the swirled meringue and it would be the perfect ending to an Easter ham meal. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm going to put this one down as a 5 star!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of a pineapple pie before but I bet pineapple and meringue go well together, and speaking of meringue, yours looks amazing with the pattern you created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos look amazing! I love Pie, and this recipe sounds so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful. I don't think that I would think about taking pictures of a slice either. No it looks way too good for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I would love a slice of this pie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had a pineapple pie in ages, and you just reminded me how much I liked it. Your meringue is outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy, this looks so pretty and sounds delicious!! I've never had pineapple pie, but this sounds like a winner. I think my parents would like this. :) Thank you for sharing the recipe, Lynn and have a wonderful day!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that does sound delicious! And love the way you decorated it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pineapple meringue is a new one on me, but I love the sound of it. So tropical!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous meringue pie!!! I'd have to make a lemon one for Bill, but I'd love a slice of your pineapple!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of pineapple pie Lynn, love the swirled meringue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the pie is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never had pineapple pie, but anything with meringue makes me happy. That's the prettiest meringue I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG - that pie looks wonderful and I know that it tastes terrific too. Thanks so much for the recipe. I am going to try it soon. Thanks so much.
    Have a Happy Easter.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the name of your blog :-) and this meringue is beautiful! Checking this sweetness out from full plate Thursday!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. A girl could get lost in those gorgeous peaks and swirls--one of the prettiest pies I've ever seen. Wishing you and your family a joyful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lynn,
    This pie is just beautiful! Hope you had a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a good week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see I wasn't alone in not knowing about pineapple pie. It does sound good. It sounds like summer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Add me to the list of those who've never tasted pineapple pie! I can't wait to try making one. Thanks for sharing your Grandma Ines's recipe.

    I adore what you did with the "M" tip & the pastry bag....sooooo pretty! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!