You might notice I don't have a pic of a cut piece... um, that's because we were all too busy eating:@)
You'll love this one folks!
3/4 C sugar-I cut back a bit
2 Tblsp butter
2 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
1/3 C cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C, plus 2 Tblsp water
8 oz can crushed pineapple
9" pre-baked pie crust-I used a purchased graham cracker crust
2 egg whites-I'd use 3 the next time
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Pie: Mix sugar, butter and egg yolks in a sauce pan with either a hand held mixer, whisk or spoon.
- Add cornstarch, vanilla, water and pineapple (juice and all), mix well making sure the yolks are well incorporated. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick, approx 15 minutes. Pour into pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add everything else and whip until stiff peaks form and it's smooth and glossy.
- Spread meringue over pie and bake at 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes, or until the meringue has browned a bit.
- Can be served warm or cold but I think it's best eaten the day it's made.