Saturday, May 21, 2016

Root Beer Barbecue Sauce

Once again a recipe advertisement in a food magazine caught my eye. This Root Beer BBQ Sauce was really different, we could taste both the root beer and the citrus. It's also more on the tangy rather than sweet side, easy adjusted with more brown sugar if your crew likes things sweeter. And it calls for... no heat. No hot sauce, chipotle, jalapenos... nothing spicy at all. If you're having a BBQ Sauce tasting party this summer (which is a really fun idea BTW:@), I think you'd be happy adding a root beer sauce to the list of things to try.
We added the sauce to pulled pork sandwiches, a very good choice!

Root Beer Barbecue Sauce-from Lea & Perrins ad in June 2016 Food Network Magazine
12 oz root beer
1/2 C ketchup
1/4 C lemon juice
1/4 C orange juice
2 Tblsp barbecue sauce-I used original Sweet Baby Ray's 
2 Tblsp brown sugar
2 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tblsp molasses
1/2 tsp ground ginger
~Mix everything in sauce pan, simmer until thick, about 45 minutes. I did let mine cook for about an hour and a half, I wanted it to really stick to the meat.

Try something new and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Link Party Palooza
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

13 comments:

  1. yum. i'd like this, i'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lynn, the picture of your pulled pork sandwich should be in a magazine! That's a fun idea, to try different sauces for a taste test. The root beer one sounds great! Wish I had one of your sandwiches for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this with a pulled pork slow cooker recipe and found it very sweet and the flavor of the soda overpowering. So much so I'd cut down on the molasses and brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a sweet BBQ sauce and this sounds perfect to serve with pulled pork!!! Happy Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn, I love the idea of a BBQ sauce flight and tasting for a summer soiree! Your root beer bbq sauce sounds like a crowd-pleaser and I just happen to have some pulled pork in the freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds quite tasty.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can't wait to give this a try!! Perfect for pulled pork. Yum! Hope you're having a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'd like this around here...I just had a root beer shake so I'm on a root beer kick. I'm going to add this to the pulled pork lineup this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good and a bbq tasting party could be so much fun. I cooked a pork in root beer and then shredded it for bbq using sweet baby ray's sauce. It was easy and ready when anyone was hungry on moving day (moving my M0m).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I'm going to make this Lynn! Sounds great! A BBQ sauce tasting party is an outstanding idea also, bring on the grills!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynn,

    This picture is making my mouth water. :-D There are also some recipes you can make using Cheerwine (a drink that was invented here in N.C.) Anyway, I think they do a barbecue sauce as well, along with cakes and such. Your recipe looks really good, Lynn -- thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My Goodness Lynn,
    We will just love this Root Beer Barbecue Sauce, it looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great weekend.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!