Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Quick Pickled Jalapeno Rings-refrigerator pickles, no canning required

While the jalapenos at the produce store were very fresh, they weren't big enough to stuff so I needed another idea... These Quick Pickled Jalapeno Rings aren't canned, once you boil the vinegar mixture and toss the peppers into the pot you just pour everything into a jar or bowl and put it in the fridge-easy! I think the oregano really makes them different and very tasty. No doubt they're amazing with nachos, we enjoyed them topping BBQ chicken sandwiches and I've been popping them like M&M's.
I've talked about my love of cleaned jalapenos often, I personally love the flavor but need to tame the heat... You'll notice I took the time to cut the membranes and remove the seeds from the slices, that's how I like 'em. I figure any seeds that stick and end up in the jar are meant to be there! The recipe is intended to leave them intact, it's up to you, you know your crowd:@) I do take the heat seriously when I'm working with more than a few peppers and especially when I'm removing the hottest parts... So I wear a disposable food service plastic glove on the hand that touches the cut peppers. 

Quick Pickled Jalapeno Rings-from Allrecipes.com
3/4 C water
3/4 C white vinegar
3 Tblsp sugar
1 Tblsp kosher salt
1 small clove garlic, crushed-I just sliced mine in half
1/2 tsp oregano
10 large jalapenos, sliced 1/4" thick
  1. Combine everything except peppers in pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Add peppers, immediately remove from heat and give them a stir.
  3. Let cool for 10 minutes.
  4. Pack peppers into jar, cover with liquid, add lid and store in the fridge.
Note: I made one pint jar. I sliced peppers until I filled the jar (it took about 10 skinny peppers). I used 1/2 C water and vinegar, 2 Tblsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, a small clove of garlic and estimated 2/3 of the oregano (but think 1/4 tsp is plenty).

Here are a few more pickled or preserved pepper ideas:
~Bread and Butter Pickled Jalapenos-refrigerator pickle-my favorite!
~Candied Jalapenos-serious heat!
~Pickled Jalapenos-no sugar added-a canning picture tutorial
~Jalapeno Lemon Jelly
~Canned Sweet Jalapenos
~Canned Sweet Jalapenos and Carrots
~Fermented Jalapeno Pepper Pickles
~Candied Jalapenos from 12 oz Jar of Pickled 'Penos-Two Ingredient
~Refrigerator Marinated Hot Peppers-Hungarian Wax are best but I wanted to add this to the list...
You can see everything I've added 'penos to (81 posts as of this writing) by clicking my Jalapeno Label HERE. Ha, ha, 9/9/17 update: 123 posts that use jalapenos now.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn Yes the blogger issue is a bit annoying and I like you have out something to that effect on my blog today. Now I am not into pickling although love to eat pickled food. Too busy in other directions! Anyhow, loved reading about what you get up to. Hope you enjoy Rowallnae Gardens Slide Show yesterday and the video today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a jar of these parked in my fridge. I learned the hard way that I needed to wear gloves when working with jalapeƱos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some fresh jalapeƱos in the fridge right now, Lynn. I could whip up a batch of these. Mike would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to comment just to applaud the segue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried to make these ~ my husband would love them! happy Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my kind of recipe Lynn, quick and easy~I will definitely be trying this very soon~this will be a big hit around my casa!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a great segue~ love these pickles...might have to try some soon....if I can find jalapenos here....they are a rare commodity here in Brazil...Have a great week...hope blogger figures it out soon for you all:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine how frustrating it is with blogger. I switched to Feedly and Bloglovin' about a year ago and never looked back. Feedly is far superior to blogger/google reader. Your pickled jalapenos look like a fun recipe.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. These would be so wonderful on so many things; sandwiches, salads, pizzas, yum!
    I do Bloglovin and really like it, super easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look like they might have the perfect amount of heat. I made jalapeno pickles ONE time, and couldn't begin to eat them because I didn't remove the seeds and membrane. I know better now! I think I'm ready to try again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn, Your jalapenos look like they have just the right about of heat for me! Love the refrigerator pickled version, I have a canning phobia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn I had the same problem with blogger and yes....made me want to bite a hot pepper too! LOL! I just put up some banana peppers and Jalapenos too. Posted on my blog on Tuesday! Have a great day! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make my mom's recipe for refrigerator pickles almost the same way. I think I know a certain husband who would love pickled jalapenos! Now I wish I would have planted some peppers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! I didn't know there would be a way to "can" them without going through the whole process! Thanks for sharing! We have had so many peppers ready and I've been cutting and freezing for salsa later on this summer. I learned the hard way, plastic gloves are quite necessary when removing that many membranes and seeds from the peppers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great recipe, I need to get these going today, yum! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!