This recipe will fill a half pint jar, it can easily be increased.
I'm guessing a half pint would be enough for 6-10 burgers.
Refrigerator Pickled Onions
1 baseball sized onion, cut into 1/4" thick rings, then cut each ring in half (or quarters)
1 small bay leaf
1 small clove garlic, peeled and left whole
1/2 C water
1/2 C vinegar, either white or cider-I used white
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp mustard seed
3 black peppercorns, optional
- Fill jar or bowl with sliced onion (use any that won't fit for something else), bay leaf and garlic.
- Bring all the rest of the ingredients to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour over onions and let sit out until it cools off. You'll have a little more brine than you need, try to spoon the mustard seed and peppercorns out and into the onions.
- Cover with a lid and store in the fridge.
- Can be eaten once it cools off but is best by day 2.