Thursday, November 25, 2010

Hoagie Dip!

Hi everyone! For my Personal PIGskin Challenge this week I guess it's no surprise that when this Philly girl saw a recipe for Hoagie Dip I just had to try it!
This is the first dip I made that my boys were absolutely crazy about! If you're going to a party or watching the game and hoagies are not being served, this dip will be welcome!
Hope you love it if you try it:@)
Hoagie Dip (my notes)
1/2 pound cooked ham, thinly sliced
1/2 pound Genoa salami, thinly sliced
1 pound American cheese, thinly sliced (way too much, suggest 1/2 pound Provolone)
2 C mayonnaise (use only enough to wet the ingredients)
2 tsp dried oregano (start with one tsp and add more to taste)
1 onion, chopped (small onion)
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
2 tomatoes diced (seeded)
12 hoagie rolls, torn into pieces for dipping

Directions:
  1. Tear the ham, salami and American cheese into small pieces. Place in a large bowl.
  2. In a medium bowl, blend the mayonnaise and oregano. Mix the mayonnaise mixture into the ham mixture 1/2 cup at a time, until meats and cheese are well coated. Mix in the onion.
  3. Before serving, mix in the lettuce and tomatoes. 
  4. Serve with the hoagie roll pieces for dipping.


My Notes:
  • This must make a huge amount of dip! Great for big parties, but easy enough to cut in half or make even less. I simply had the girl cut me a 1/4" thick slice of ham, Genoa and Provolone cheese and diced them to about 1/4". I scaled everything else down too. My dip made approx 2 Cups.
  • On-line pictures show this being served in a hollowed out round loaf of artisan bread.
  • Make sure you seed the tomato. 
  • Shred and chop the lettuce so there aren't real long strings.
  • If you like hot or sweet peppers add them, just dry them on paper towels first. 
  • Would be great with cocktail rye bread, crackers, bagel or pita chips, and tortillas too.
  • If you're taking this to a party, mix the meat and cheese, mayo, and oregano in a bowl. Dice the tomato and put it in a separate bag or bowl, do the same for the lettuce and onion. When you get to the party mix everything together before serving.
  • This is more of a 'spoon onto bread' than 'dip the bread into' type of dip.
Thanksgiving Challenge: Today I'm thankful for my taste testers! All the great folks at home and work that try out these "new to me" recipes and truthfully let me know what they think.


I'm joining:

22 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Lynn! Your dip looks absolutely delicious and I'm making it for this weeks Boise Bronco's game. You have sure added to my collection of dips...and for that I give you thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn...

    Mmmm...your Hoagie Dip looks and sounds scrumptious! I've never heard of this recipe...thanks for sharing it with us!

    Just wanted to stop by to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! I just read your sweet note that you left on my Thanksgiving table...it's always such a pleasure to have you visit!

    Warmest Thanksgiving Day wishes...
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lynn, I LOVE your "COUNTDOWN Hog-eers" and Sleigh! That is TOOOO CUTE!!! and of course your dip dish is DARLING!!!
    Happy Thanksgiving and HUGS to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I seem to giggle and smile a lot when I visit here. ;-)

    Enjoy the holiday weekend! ~ sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks delicious! I love that piggy server!

    Best wishes always,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn this sounds super good
    appreciate all your notes and tips
    i love dips...'tis the season to dip :)
    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Lynn,
    this looks so cute with your piggy server. And spunds delicious. I will remember for the next party.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy. I love your piggy bowl. I have a bit of a collection of them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would GLADLY sign up to be a taste tester for you! You find the coolest looking dips to try.

    I'm positive this one would be a winner at my house.

    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning from Frog Hollow Farm. This looks like a delicious dip - just chock full of delicious flavors. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks really good! That would go over very well in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!! Have a very happy weekend!!!xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one made me salivate, although I have to admit I am a dip nut! I have never heard of one like this and I am loving it. Wow. It is a party must. We have our first holiday party soon and we all bring appetizers. I want to make this one. Love the piggy bowl. Mine won't taste the same in a boring bowl, but it will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just know all our men will love this at Super Bowl Sunday party we have every year at son's house.
    Thanks, Lynn...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE hoagie dip! This fellow Philly girl just had to check this out when I saw it listed on Foodie Friday. I could go for some of that right about now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn, How cute that dip bowl is, and what a beautiful plate he is sitting on! The spread sounds so good. I believe we could make a meal out of that. Your Christmas header is fabulous! Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so love your pig! And yum on the recipe. I'm having fun poking around this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like a friday's favorite for sure... I may just have to give it a try this weekend~ since we'll be watching the SEC championship :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your idea of putting dip in a pig planter. My 13 year old granddaughter collects pig things. I have a planter just like yours so will serve dip in it for Christmas Eve. She will love it! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just starting to blog a year ago, so never saw this terrific recipe, thanks for sharing, it looks fab! Although, I love the little pig bowl too and don't have one...but I'll try it anyway.
    Happy Thanksgiving again. FABBY

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!