Sunday, May 25, 2014

Bacon-Pickle Ketchup

Sometimes the best things come together quickly with simple pantry items and this Bacon-Pickle Ketchup is a good example of that! You consider bacon a pantry item... right? Right:@) While we all love burgers and dogs on the grill, this will add that little finishing touch that makes them just a bit more special! I loved using a standard relish that was basically dill pickle based and then added my Refrigerator Jalapeno Bread and Butter Pickles for some sweetness. I may have, um... seriously pigged out on this burger!
This recipe is easily reduced and 1/4 is plenty for two burgers.
Tip: I always break my bacon down into four slice bundles, I can fold three bundles in half and lay them flat in a one quart freezer bag to take one out as needed. I also hope everyone is pouring that bacon fat into a Mason Jar-that's good stuff folks:@)

Bacon-Pickle Ketchup-from Food Network Magazine, June 2014
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 C ketchup
half of an onion, finely chopped-I suggest a small sweet onion
1/2 C relish
1/4 C pickled jalapenos, drained and finely chopped-for my canned Pickled Jalapeno post click HERE
~Mix everything, store in the fridge until ready to serve.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

15 comments:

  1. Lynn, I saw that recipe in FNM and knew it had to be good and even thought of you when I saw it! Wishing you a Happy Memorial Day weekend with lots of bacon fat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon makes everything better, right. I too hope you are having a very happy Memorial Day.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon is absolutely a "pantry" item!! What's not to like with this relish?

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bacon is most definitely a staple in my house. This looks like a really condiment. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that taste good with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has to be amazing! What a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific condiment!! And I love the tip on freezing the bacon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything's better with bacon. Great tip on freezing bacon. I am now doing a "slap upside of the head, why didn't I think of that moment." Have a wonderful Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my ...I wish we lived closer...I would run right over just to lick the pan, OR the BBQ grill after that one! YUMMO!
    I just made hamburgers last night or I would be trying this immediately, Lynn. It makes my mouth water just reading the recipe.

    I usually have grandkidlets here for a sleep-over when I made bacon, so I lay out the entire 1# pkg in single layer strips on a sheet pan with sides. Baked in the oven, I only turn it once...doesn't take long & a huge batch is ready for everyone at the same time. I may have to start doing 2# though, as my 12 yr. old DGS can eat an entire package all by himself.

    And "yes" I save the drippings...great start for hash browns the next day.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe & for cracking me up with your comment "seriously pigged out" LOL LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I will be right over! This sounds over the top good! BTW, saw your shout out over at Noble Pig~ Happy Memorial Day Lynn, I hope you are grilling up a storm!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I am making this delicious condiment the next time I make burgers! It has everything to make a burger better. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this before? Sounds amazing, and like you mentioned, it’s basically made up of pantry staples. It is amazing the deliciousness that one can come up with by combining common things. I am making this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!