Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Strapless Barbie Dress with or without Apron/Peplum-For Any Occasion -DIY

Years ago I shared a link to a tutorial for a Strapless Barbie Dress, it only required a 6" square of fabric and was pretty easy to make. The link to that site has since been taken down, so I thought I'd create my own picture tutorial to show folks how to make my variation of the dress. Because, you know, that's kinda what we do here:@) No sewing machine? This dress should come together in less than an hour sewing by hand. And to help prove that point... For some reason my sewing machine isn't working correctly, so after that one horrendous bottom seam, I completed the dress with a needle and thread.

The dress only requires a 6"x6" square of fabric.
Pinking shears create that zig-zag edge and will help control fraying if you have them.

Iron the top and bottom under 1/4" (or run your fingernail over it a few times to create a crease), hem. 

Turn the fabric wrong side out and wrap it around the doll, pin it closed in back. 

Use pins for the bust dart placement 
(pinch the fabric at the waist long ways under each boob so the dart runs up and down). 

 A second pic in case it helps...

Sew a crescent shaped seam for each dart, approx 1" long. 
Widest at the waist, running off the fabric at bust line and hip.

Fold right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam 3" from the bottom up the back, back stitch.

Fold the rest of the fabric on each side under 1/4", I sewed on a little snap for closure,
I prefer a 1/4" wide strip of velcro the whole length of the opening. 

The finished dress before I glued on (using Liquid Stitch) the white trim to cover the top seam:

The back of the dress:


And here's a cute St. Patrick's Day variation:

Written instructions in case they're helpful:
  • The dress only requires a 6"x6" square of fabric. 
  • Press the top and bottom under 1/4", hem. 
  • Turn the fabric wrong side out and wrap it around the doll, pin it closed, then use pins for the bust dart placement (pinch the fabric at the waist long ways under each boob so the dart runs up and down). You'll sew a crescent shaped seam for each dart, approx 1" long. Widest at the waist, running off the fabric at bust line and hip.
  • Optional-Then I sewed the ruffle apron/peplum where her waist is. It only takes about 4" of ruffle. 
  • Fold right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam 3" from the bottom up the back, back stitch. (If you add the apron/peplum be sure to catch the edges of the ruffle in this seam.)
  • Fold the rest of the fabric on each side under 1/4", I used a 1/4" wide strip of velcro the whole length of the opening. If you're using snaps hem each side before sewing them on. 
It's faster and neater with a sewing machine (that works), but this dress didn't turn out bad!
How to make a beaded Barbie necklace HERE.

✂Make something just for fun and have a happy day😊

27 comments:

  1. Adorable and I love the ruffled white apron. Barbie, you will be the queen of the party.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually dress like that when I cook. Of course, it takes a lot more fabric to make my cute outfits!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Lynn, this is SO cute!! I love that dress with the shamrock fabric and the apron is the perfect touch!! Yep, those gold shoes are rocking the outfit. :-D

    Love that last picture. My hubs would think he was in the wrong house if he came home and saw me dressed like that cooking dinner. Fun post Lynn, and you did a great job on the dress and apron! I hope you have a great day.

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, Lynn! And I love your header, too. Made me smile! LOL

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbie sure looks fashionable to be crashing the St. Patrick's Day party, Lynn. I don't think Kathleen will mind since Barbie's sharing the the main dish! I love your St. Paddy's Day header, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how tedious sewing Barbie clothes can be and you have my utmost respect. Such a good job and she looks fantastic!
    p.s. my Barbies could never cross their legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbie is right in style and ready to party. Very cute and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute! Lovin the new header too. Dancing pigs make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a hoot Lynn! I didn't know Barbie had corned beef and cabbage in her repertoire :) She puts me to shame when I stand next to my stove, love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute, Lynn! Barbie's fashions have certainly expanded! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbie is always welcome at my House!!! She is quite a gal and knows how to celebrate!!! Nice to see her in some St. Patty's Day attire :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A perfect dress for hostess Barbie this St Patrick's Day! I always enjoy your beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved seeing something "different" on Kathleen's Blog Crawl!!! Fantastic job on the shamrock dress! I used to love to play with Barbies but alas, my daughter, when she was young, did not! I NEVER did pretend that Barbie was making cabbage and corned beef though! Visiting as your linky neighbour on the Crawl.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute is that! And yes she looks fabulous! I look just like that when I cook, too! hahahaha! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol that is cute! Her dress is great! She looks ready to serve! Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I just love it! She looks so precious in the dresses you made. I always dress like that for making dinner, lol. Visiting from the blog crawl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute! I used to collect Barbies, in fact still have a few I should part with. Cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO cute! Maybe my newest granddaughter will play Barbies with me in a few years. My oldest one never got into Barbie, alas. And I still have my Dream House from about 1964!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable! Geez, I wish I looked that cute at the stove! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your Barbie all dressed for ST. Paddy's Day! Too cute!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the sweetest hostess dress for Barbie! I love the shamrock fabric and she is wearing the green for St. Paddy's Day! Have a great week!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, Barbie makes an adorable hostess to Kathleen's Irish party!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lynn,
    Oh, dear one, how the memories flood over me!
    My Sister loves to sew. . .me, not so much!
    When we were children, she made all my Barbie Doll clothes!!!
    Love Barbie's Saint Patrick's Day attire!!!
    Thanks for your sweet comment and visit recently!!!
    I do hope you'll visit again, soon!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is hysterical! Irish Barbie, who knew? Just adorable. Wish I needed a 6 in sq to make a dress! :)
    Thanks so much for taking part in the 6th annual St. Pat's Bog Crawl! Slainte'!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a lovely dress! I just found your blog and love it! Keep up your great work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!