Saturday, May 16, 2015

Rhubarb Jam Using Strawberry Jello

It's rhubarb season here in the mid-Atlantic states and once again this year my plant is hearty and healthy! I wanted to try something new and decided this Rhubarb Jam Using Strawberry Jello sounded good, and it was! From a quick Google I see folks have been making some variation of this jam for as long as Jello has been around... It's also easy to make different flavor combinations by simply changing up the Jello, a batch of raspberry or orange seem to be very popular. This is an extremely tasty jam and if you bump up the amount of rhubarb (as I did), you can really taste it.

Most recipes call for diced rhubarb but don't mention the size to aim for, I suggest about 1/4" across the "strings" and no wider than 1/2", so I'll cut the big stems into 4-6 pieces lengthwise if needed. Two other tips: I crushed the rhubarb with a potato masher as it cooked and stired the Jello in with a whisk.
Sounds like we have choices about how to can this... You can simply cool and store in the fridge (freezer for long term storage) or process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Since I knew my jars would be going home with the kids tomorrow I did what a lot of other bloggy buddies do and simply turned the filled jars upside down for about 5 minutes, then turned them upright, every one of them "pinged" and sealed... Sssshhhhh-don't tell the Food Police:@)

I started with two very similar recipes, one from Kraft and the other from Allrecipes, then made my own changes based upon the reviews. I think you'll like this if you try it folks.

Rhubarb Jam Using Strawberry Jello-makes approx 4 1/2 half pint jars
6 C rhubarb, diced about 1/4-1/2"
2 C sugar
1 four serving size package of Strawberry Jello
  1. Place rhubarb in large heavy bottomed pot, stir in sugar and let sit for 30-45 minutes, this will produce some liquid.
  2. Heat to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for about 13 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender.
  3. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the Jello, stir until dissolved.
  4. Ladle into sterilized jars, wipe rims, apply lids and bands. Store as desired from above.
Preserve a little bit of spring and have a happy day:@)

22 comments:

  1. now you've got my tastebuds' attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lynn, in all my years (over 40+) of making jams, jellies, I have never used Jello. I will definitely be trying this since I only use homemade jam on my homemade toast (yes, one thing I'm a food snob about!). Thanks for sharing!
    I must confess that I've never tasted rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to know that you tried turning the jars upside down and then upright again. I've used this method for years and always works!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a strawberry rhubarb margarita last night, pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rhubarb, oh my heavens, this must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, I've never had rhubarb, I have to correct that! I like the idea of experimenting with a strawberry rhubarb margarita first :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have rhubarb in the fridge and was going to make jam. May give this recipe a try. Looks beautiful. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, you really have me this time, I've never had rhubarb, in any form, but I couldn't help but see the comments about the strawberry rhubarb margarita is the way to be introduced...:) I do admire all your canned and pickled creations Lynn, I bet you make a lot of people happy with them!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll bet this would taste great on an English muffin for breakfast! Thanks for doing the legwork and making the adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds good! I've never cooked with rhubarb before and I've become fascinated with rhubarb recipes. I featured you on my Home Cooking FB page. :) Have a great week! http://homecookingrecipebox.blogspot.com/ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured this week at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just harvested some rhubarb yesterday from the garden and I'm going to try this version to fill white cupcakes frosted with homemade butter cream frosting for a bridal shower at work. Our son's wedding cake had strawberry rhubarb filling layers with a whipped frosting. It's the first wedding cake in my life where there was none left. I almost didn't get a slice and I was the mother of the groom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my second time making this recipe. We love it! Everyone is asking for a jar this year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for linking up with me at my #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 13, open June 1 to 26. All party entries shared if social media buttons installed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried freezing this? Does it stay gelled when thawed?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have made this before and it's to die for, But I put a can (small ) of well drained crushed pineapple in with the rhubarb It's my Gram's recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you used frozen rhubarb? My plant is young, so I don't get enough. When you thaw you get a lot of juice aka flavor. Maybe cook that part off first?? Looking forward to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I have not tried frozen rhubarb. My guess would be to thaw it in a colander and give it a light press with my hand to remove a little of the excess liquid. But that's only a guess. Let me know how it turns out if you try it-have fun:@)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!