Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pressure Cooker BBQ Baked Beans

When I serve baked beans as a side dish I like for them to have a little zip and zing... Especially if they accompany meat from the grill. These BBQ Baked Beans deliver big flavor! And using my Instant Pot electronic pressure cooker means dry beans on the table in an hour with no pre-soak necessary:@)

This recipe will fill an 8x8 dish for reheating on the grill. 
Imagine homemade baked beans for summer BBQ's without heating up the oven!

BBQ Baked Beans in the Pressure Cooker
1 1/2 C dry navy beans, sorted and rinsed
6 C water
2 bay leaves
4 slices of bacon sliced into approx 1/4" wide pieces
1 C onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 C green pepper, diced-could be bell, jalapeno, etc. I had a poblano this time
1/4 C Dijon mustard-I use Dijon if I have it but any mustard is fine
1/4 C molasses
1/4 C tomato paste
1/2 C brown sugar
2 Tblsp BBQ Sauce
2 Tblsp soy sauce
2 Tblsp hot sauce
1 Tblsp Worcestshire sauce
1 Tblsp chili powder
1 tsp seasoned salt-I used Lawry's Fire Roasted Chile & Garlic-love that stuff!
2 whole cloves
  1. Place beans, water and bay in Pressure Cooker, bring to high pressure for 15 minutes. Automatically release pressure, or place under running water if you have a stove top PC.
  2. Reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid and drain beans. Place beans and 2 cups liquid back into PC. Discard bay.
  3. In large skillet, cook bacon until it's crisp, place bacon on a paper towel and remove all but 1 Tblsp of bacon fat. Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
  4. Turn off heat, add everything else to skillet and mix well.
  5. Pour this over the beans, do not stirDon't know why we shouldn't, but I don't.
  6. Return to high pressure for 10 minutes then automatically release pressure, or place under running water if you have a stove top PC. 
  7. Before serving remove the cloves.
  8. The mixture will thicken as it stands (and it truly does), but you can mash some of the beans if you'd like to thicken it quicker.
Notes:
  • The beauty of this recipe is the sauce gets mixed together and you can taste it before adding it to the beans. Now, you know your crowd... Want it sweeter? Use more brown sugar. Concerned about the hot sauce? Don't use it. Want more bacon? Go ahead, I won't tell Earl...
  • At the end of cooking time there will be a lot of liquid, just give it a good stir, it does thicken up as it sits and most of the liquid will be absorbed once it's reheated. 
  • Trying to fish out the cloves at the end is difficult... Next time I'm going to try adding them to the first 15 minute cook time, that way I'll be able to see them easier when I drain the beans.
  • You can find a more traditional Boston Baked Bean pressure cooker recipe HERE.

32 comments:

  1. oh, they sound yummy! just pass a hunk of cornbread and i'm ready! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not own a pressure cooker Lynn but always think molasses makes a huge difference in a baked beans recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baked beans in the summer with a brat fresh off the grill. Sadly I don't have a pressure cooker. I have to look for that Lawrys roasted chili and garlic salt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh....these look so good!! I always love seeing what you've been creating in the kitchen!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molasses is a great secret ingredient. I don't have a pressure cooker. We had baked beans with our ribs tonight. We like them spicy. Your ingredient list makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have a pressure cooker and I would love to try this recipe. Beans in under an hour? I love it!! Thanks for sharing and I will check out the other recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wonders of a pressure cooker with beans in under an hour! I need to pick up some Lawry's seasoning salt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a pressure cooker long time ago,don't know where it got off to,but I need to get another,I forgot what a time saving,on the table with the quickness these pressure cookers are.You had me at NO SOAK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked at your list of ingredients and got hungry even though I already had brunch! These look wonderful and so perfect for a summer picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must know that every time I am in the store looking at beans I think of you and wonder which beans it was you used for which recipe. You need to put these recipes in book form : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have an idea that a pressure cooker is the new Crockpot. Beans in 60 minutes or less! Wonderful recipe and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your recipe, sounds delish. All my family loves backed beans. Now I’m hungry! Thanks for sharing.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never used a pressure cooker but am thinking about getting one. Your beans look so good!!! We had grilled burgers last night and thought about making beans, but only John and I would had eaten them with this group so I passed. Silly people don't know what they are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ps... do you recommend a particular pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bought mine at QVC. I do prefer the electronic ones to the stove top version (I have both). I can honestly say I use my 4 quart one about once a week and consider it a good purchase:@)

      Delete
  15. They look good! I just put mine in the oven low and leave them ll night cooking. No pot to clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks wonderful! I haven't owned a pressure cooker in years. Perhaps I should look for one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. interesting way to make bbq beans, i bet they taste wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to try these~ Beans go right along side Potato Salad and Slaw at our family Grill out parties:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! It turned out marvelously! I love that it didn't involve a can of pork and beans. And I used our electric pressure cooker, that is a beautiful appliance which I looooooooooove! I have two small children, and I can literally set it and forget it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, that makes me happy:@)

      Delete
  22. I made these for a party last weekend. Just wanted to say THANK YOU. These were exactly what I wanted them to be like. I didn't use Worcestershire sauce.. But I used Weber's 'Steak and Chop' seasoning salt which has a little Worcestershire flavor to it.
    I doubled this recipe and it was enough for a party of 30 as a side dish. (it was one of many)
    I really liked the ability to taste the sauce before adding it to the beans.
    I used the cloves and the bay leaves in the pressure cooking part of the process.. super easy to pick it all out.
    I can't say thanks enough. Great beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your steak and chop seasoning addition! I'm so glad they worked out for you, thanks for letting me know:@)

      Delete
  23. Wanted a vegetarian version. Sautéed the onions in grape seed oil and added a couple of Tbsps. of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce that I grinded with a hand blender.Substitued spicy black bean sauce for the soy, no molasses, didn't have any. Everything else the same, except, no bacon. Very good, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The reason you don't stir is to keep the sauce on top so the sugars in it don't burn on the bottom. Great recipe.. my favorite now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it, thanks for the info:@)

      Delete
  25. I made these in the Instant Pot. I cooked the beans, reserved the liquid and set aside. Then I cooked the bacon in the instant pot liner on saute and when done drained the bacon on paper towels and only kept 1 tablespoon of fat in the liner. Added the onion and cooked as directed, added the garlic. Turned the pot off and added the beans and water back to the liner. Added the rest of the ingredients without stirring. Cooked on manual for 10 minutes and did a quick release. THESE BEANS ARE FANTASTIC AND I LOVE YOU! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband and I christened the new smoker yesterday, so I HAD to make some beans to go with our pulled pork. I remembered finding (and loving!) your recipe for pressure cooker baked beans, so came back to your site and found this. I had apparently run out of bay leaves, so did the first cook with a small cinnamon stick instead. I then followed the recipe as written, but added only 1/8 tsp. ground cloves (so I didn't have to fish out the whole one, and since I'd put in the cinnamon stick earlier). These were AMAZING! My husband and I loved them, my guests loved them....my only complaint is it didn't make more! The 4 of us finished most of the pot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!