Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Spin-Achos *Spinach Nachos & Early Spring Garden...

My spinach plants got big and needed a little trimming, so I thought I'd whip up a little snack. These Spin-Achos came together quickly and used just a few ingredients, all were items on-hand. I added sliced spinach and cheddar cheese to a bed of tortilla chips, then I asked, what could make it better? Bacon:@) Now, the bacon is truly optional, but highly recommended... I gave it a few seconds in the microwave, and topped them with a little drizzle of ranch dressing, some reserved crunchy bacon crumbles, and freshly chopped chives. Spinach and chives from the garden-yay!

I gave this a rough chop, about 1/2" wide. Want your spinach more wilted? Simply slice it thinner. My test batch was about 1/8" wide, and the spinach did cook more. Baby spinach will wilt faster than the mature curly leaves I used too. Another good addition would be some small diced fresh tomatoes.

My thyme has been replanted several times, this is the second year in its final home. Thyme has a tendency to grow tangled and maybe even get a little matted. I like to run my fingers through it in an upward motion, to free up the stems and give it a little lift. The best part about this, the stems are lighter and sway gently in the wind. I likey:@)

And finally, every September I buy one small 3" pot of pansies to add to the large planter on the patio. They are in bloom at the time, and depending upon how harsh winter is, may send up occasional flowers all winter. But by March and April they are spectacular! I always consider this $3 well spent:@)

Spin-Achos with Optional Bacon
  1. Lay a bed of tortilla chips on microwavable platter.
  2. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced fresh spinach.
  3. Add bacon to above if using.
  4. Microwave for a few seconds, until the cheese melts. About 10-12 seconds.
  5. Top with more bacon, a drizzle of ranch dressing, and some freshly minced chives.
Have a Happy Day:@)

2 comments:

  1. Spinach is so versatile, love this idea, I put it on grilled/toasted sandwiches all the time. Of course POPEYE anything is nummy. Great and easy recipe, Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nachos are healthy, right? Spinach helps cancel out the chips and cheese :) My thyme needs a combing, too. I can't wait to get my other herbs and tomatoes planted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!