Saturday, March 12, 2022

ReView: St. Patrick's Day Crafts for the Kids

St. Patrick's Day is Thursday so I thought I'd share some craft ideas for the kids:@) They could be a project to keep them busy for a while, or would be cute as gifts. These little Plastic Canvas Hershey Kiss Holders have been around forever, I remember making them back in the 80's. Here I turned one into a Leprechaun. You could even add yarn as a necklace so it can be worn to the parade! The idea is, squeeze his cheeks and there's a candy kiss inside.
Kiss Me-I'm Irish...

Shamrock Crafts:

And I love repurposing k-cups! Set the kids up with markers, stickers, pipe cleaners, yarn, glitter, buttons, etc, so they can decorate St. Pat's Hats for Barbie and their action figure dolls. Easy and cuteπŸ˜‰

I thought it would be cute to create a simple shawl for Barbie, or Curvy Barbie, to wear to the St. Patrick's Day parade... The key is to use ribbon that's at least 2 1/2" wide. This covers the shoulders nicely and adds a little drape. I secured the gather closed with some beads. 

Of course this shawl can be made for any time of year or occasion. Some of the Spring ribbon I saw at Dollar Tree... St. Pat's (there was a solid dark green too):

and Easter:

✂What I did:
  1. Hold wire on one side of ribbon and push it to create a gather.
  2. Once you see how full you'd like the shawl (try it on doll), I'm guessing 10" is more than enough, cut the ribbon. I used pinking shears, I do think either sewing or gluing a hem on each open side would be neater.
  3. To secure the gather: I pushed the wire through a bead, ran the wire through the hole a couple times, and then cut the wire. 
  4. For the other side, I bent the excess wire into a couple circles and made them lay flat. Then hot glued the shamrock accent beads over that.
  5. I'm using the wire to shape and hold the shawl on her shoulders. You may want to hot glue or sew a thinner ribbon around the top so it can be tied on for more rigorous doll play.
  6. Wrap around Barbie's shoulders, shape shawl and enjoy the parade!
Or how about a simple Over Skirt for Leggings. Barbie doesn't want to get pinched after all:@) The idea is, this is not a finished garment, it's intended to be a quick wink and nod to add a holiday look. St. Pat's is perfect since the parties and parades can be good silly fun.
✂What I did:
  1. Cut a piece of 2.5" wired ribbon twice as wide as the doll's waist. I used pinking shears to help with fraying.
  2. Pull each end of the wire to tighten the waist around the doll. Simply twist the wire closed to hold skirt on doll.
  3. Trim wire and shape skirt.
  4. I left the open side on the back, it can be front or side.
Make something just for fun,
don't forget to wear something green to the parade, and~
Have a Happy DayπŸ€

3 comments:

  1. You always share such fun ideas, Lynn! I appreciate your craftiness and creativity. Happy weekend! πŸ’š☘️πŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute ideas! I'm lucky if I can find my one green sweater to wear!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!