Saturday, March 25, 2017

Healthy (Easy) Homemade Ketchup-Low Carb

So... The boys told me they were starting a Keto diet. Huh? Keto??? As in very low carb? Here in the home of pasta, potatoes and apple pie??? Their response: "look at it as an opportunity for new blog fodder". Ha, smart boys:@) While I personally am not doing the diet (although, um, well...) I have been nosing around the net and decided to send them each home with a jar of Healthy Homemade Ketchup. Gotta say, it's pretty darn tasty!

While the original recipe says to only cook it for 5-10 minutes, I wanted to make sure it was thick. So I cooked mine until dropping it from a spoon made crators from the drips (see above) and until it stuck to the spoon, and that was while it was hot! It thickened up even more once it cooled off. 

My only other change was to use garlic and onion powder instead of fresh.  
The original post says this will last in the fridge for a month and can be processed in a hot water bath for longer storage.
 I'm thinking it would make one amazing cocktail sauce:@)

This is what I use when I talk about squirts of Stevia and I did add a 'low carb' label to the blog.

Healthy Homemade Ketchup-from Keto Diet Blog
1 C tomato puree
1/4 C cider vinegar
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2-3 squirts of Stevia liquid-start with two and see if you want it sweeter
1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt-I used 1/2 tsp Himalayan, 1/2 tsp kosher
pinch of freshly ground pepper-I added a few hearty grinds
1/4 C water-I added 1/8 C
~Mix everything in pot, bring to simmer and cook over low bubble for 10 minutes or until it's thick enough for your liking.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

7 comments:

  1. What a great Mom you are to be thinking of your boys on their new Keto diet. I'm lad that the ketchup was a winner, and I'll bet they appreciated you sending them home with a jar. Happy Sunday, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I made ketchup too though my recipe is slightly different. Looks like you cooked it perfectly! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, I had to chuckle at your description of "Here in the home of pasta, potatoes and apple pie". Looking forward to your new blog fodder :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I can relate! My youngest watches his carbs now, though he will indulge after he works out! And my oldest doesn't want to take any goodies home with him, though he'll have a good helping of whatever I've made after he comes over for Sunday dinner. Sigh. But they're still eat their Heinz. So far! Glad to have you as the expert if things should change :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know ketchup had carbs! Shows you how much I know :) Your homemade ketchup looks delicious, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your homemade ketchup looks so yummy. thank you for sharing. I had to stop by and say hello. Love that bottlecap Barbie hat. Barbie and I have a long history together! Sigh! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lady! What a surprise to see this. I finally sat down and decided to look at some blogs tonight and am so glad I did. Literally have not looked at them in months. Guess what? I am on a Keto diet! No kidding! Currently I'm doing the weightloss plan keeping my carbs at 20 a day. I am finally starting to loose weight, eating well and plan to stick with it as a lifestyle change. I will still have the occasional carb after I reach my goal weight but now I'm very much amazed at how well my body is responding to less carbs. I was living in the land of carbs too so much more then I ever realized. I cannot wait to try your ketchup recipe. My husband still enjoys hamburgers on the weekends and I do too though I have ditched the bun and fries and chips of course. LOL! I would love a to continue to enjoy a low carb ketchup for sure! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!