Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Bread Machine Challah

This Bread Machine Challah was a big hit at Sunday dinner and something I will be making again! It's a hearty loaf with a pretty light yellow color. Challah has always been my favorite bread for Easter dinner, it's nice to know there's a good bread machine recipe for it:@)

Leftovers made great French Toast too.

I used all purpose flour and added 1 1/2 tsp Vital Wheat Gluten since I had it in the freezer.
I was tickled by the way the top of the loaf looked:@)
Next time I'm going to try a tip from Bread Machine Magic HERE and add poppy seeds to the top.

Bread Machine Challah-adapted to a smaller loaf from All Recipes
*This recipe is for a 1 lb loaf
1/2 C milk
1 egg plus 1 yolk
2 Tblsp butter
2 1/4 C A/P flour-use bread flour if you have it
1 1/2 tsp vital wheat gluten-if you have it and using A/P flour, I added it to the measuring cup before the A/P flour
2 1/2 Tblsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
~Add everything to bread machine, choose light setting, let 'er fly!

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

11 comments:

  1. Wow, challah from a bread machine, very cool Lynn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can it be made without the vital wheat gluten? I will put it on my wal mart list if it is essential. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, the original recipe calls for bread flour, I only added the vwg because I had it an used A/P flour.

      Delete
  3. It looks beautiful! I'm always looking for a good tried and true recipe for the bread machine! Poppy seeds would be nice too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I wish I had a slice of your challah bread for my morning toast tomorrow, Lynn. I'm going to pass this recipe on to my youngest son, who was given a free bread machine from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In forgot to mention that I use vital wheat gluten when using AP flour, too, when making my bread from the Civil War starter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the 1 loaf size recipe. More like this Please. Love your blog. Keep up the good ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wishing a had a hunk of your wonderful challah bread this morning Lynn...hence why I don't have a bread machine. One slice is not enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's freezing here and I don't want to leave the house! Think that means it's the perfect day to make homemade bread---challah is a favorite and yours looks divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMMM everyone said make this one again. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, that makes me happy:@)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!