Sunday, May 3, 2015

Mess Free, Stress Free Grilled Chicken Legs -using a disposable pan

As the chief cook and bottle washer here at Pig In Mud I sometimes look for easier ways to do things. BBQing chicken with the skin on can be messy and cause flare ups so an option is to cook it on disposable aluminum trays, this truly is a mess free and stress free way to grill chicken legs. I start them on indirect heat and then move the pan over to the hot side, you can hear the chicken begin to sizzle. Flip them every 10 minutes so they'll cook evenly and when just about done slather them with the BBQ sauce of your choice. No crazy fires, no chicken fat dripping everywhere, no burnt BBQ sauce... Just nicely cooked chicken:@)

I use the gas grill and disposable cake pans from the Dollar Store for this. Each pan could easily hold 12 legs.
 If you have some leftover chicken, it's great in BBQ Chicken Macaroni Salad HERE.

Oh, and the clean-up... Well, ya gotta love that too:@)

Mess Free, Stress Free Grilled Chicken Legs
  1. Brine chicken legs for one hour, pat dry. There's a basic brine HERE (just leave out the poultry seasoning) and hot sauce brine HERE.
  2. Rub with a little olive oil and sprinkle with S&P.
  3. Spray disposable tray with oil, put chicken on tray and place tray on a heated grill over indirect heat, close grill lid, cook for 20 minutes. It should be medium hot.
  4. Move tray over the flame and cook covered, your grill should be hot enough to hear the meat sizzling. Turn the chicken every 10 minutes for approximately 30 minutes or until the juices run clear. Slather with BBQ sauce the last few minutes of cooking, we like Sweet Baby Ray's.
  5. Step back, admire your pretty chicken, toss tray, smile smugly at your clean grill and love life:@)
Have a happy day!

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

9 comments:

  1. That's my idea of stress-free clean up too Lynn :) I forget about the dollar store for disposable pans, thanks for the reminder! Enjoy your legs and your Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mess free and stress free! My grillers use those pans for soaking flavored wood chips and put them in the grill during cooking and then toss the whole mess away after it cools down...I will tell them about your method, they cook chicken legs and wings all the time. Your chicken looks super tempting Lynn, I know you are happy to be grilling again!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. The BBQ chicken legs look so tasty, Lynn. I'm a big fan of using the aluminum trays from the dollar store, too. I'll bet you're cooking up something good for the family today. My youngest son gave me some of the bacon that he cured and then smoked. It was amazing!
    Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love chicken thighs so I will try this next time I cook on the grill. I always love checking out your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We constantly have flare up and charred meat when we grill. I need my chief griller to take a few pointers from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't you the clever one! Now I'm going to watch for sales on aluminum pans :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all about mess free and stress free, great post! Hope you have a very special Mothers Day weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!