Thursday, August 28, 2014

BBQ Macaroni Salad with Pork or Chicken (optional)

I've really been enjoying these different flavored pasta salads recently and this BBQ Macaroni Salad with Pork (or Chicken) was a great meal! I used the Neely's recipe as a guideline and just made a bowl for lunch, it was an excellent use for a couple ounces of leftover pork tenderloin, but you could leave the protein out if desired and call it a side dish. Actually leftover BBQ chicken would really be good in this, might just have to toss a couple extra legs on the grill this weekend:@)
I felt celery seed was the only thing missing from the ingredient list, I'd add some the next time.

BBQ Macaroni Salad with Pork or Chicken-adapted from FoodNetwork.com
2 Tblsp cider vinegar
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
pinch cayenne-I did not use this
1 C mayonnaise
1/2 C BBQ sauce-I used Sweet Baby Ray's
1 lb pasta, cooked, cooled with cold water and drained well-I used half whole wheat pasta
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped-I had green, any pepper would be good
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 whole scallions, sliced-I chopped some onion
8 oz pulled pork-I used cubed leftover tenderloin
S&P to taste
a few shakes of celery seed-optional but my recommendation
parsley, chopped for garnish-I didn't have any
  1. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a big bowl.
  2. Add the pasta and veggies, mix well. Garnish top with parsley if using.
  3. The Neely's serve the pork on top of the salad, I mixed mine into the salad.
  4. I chose to serve mine on a bed of lettuce, that was nice too.
Other flavorful options:

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday

21 comments:

  1. I would add the cayenne to mine because I would add cayenne to anything if I could. (OK, maybe not cheesecake, but nearly everything.) All four photos look inviting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a cool salad! I never would have thought of this, Lynn, and I love how you get us thinking outside the box! I love chicken so I think I would try that meat with it first. Yum!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had BBQ sauce in macaroni salad, Lynn, but it sounds like the perfect addition. I'm like you, as I'd like the meat or chicken mixed right in the salad. This sounds like a great meal for Labor Day, or a side without the meat. Actually, I'd go for any of your macaroni salads that you have pictured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried the BBQ in this type of salad either....sounds amazing! Thanks for the recipe girlfriend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, that sounds quite good. buffalo chicken, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't watch the Neelys [too sappy!] but they do have great recipes! This looks great, love the idea of leftover BBQ~ hope you get your grill fired up this weekend, we are supposed to get rain :(
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, they all are making my mouth water! I don't know which one I would try first, probably the Buffalo Chicken. I generally will eat on macaroni salad for days and days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I followed your link to the pickled jalapenos - 81 jalapeno recipes so far?!! Wow, you are one spicy lady! We have a neighborhood garden next to us and the girl who has planted it doesn't know what to do with all of the jalapenos, so I am going to try pickling some! Maybe I will even can some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love macaroni salad but nothing hot for me I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great salad to go with the end of summer bbq's. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea to use BBQ in a macaroni salad. I also like the crunch of the red bell pepper & celery.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lynn, very creative salad, never would of thought of adding BBQ to a dish like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't eaten a good macaroni salad in years! Maybe I need to whip one up while we're at my MIL's this weekend....you've inspired me with all your terrific recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love the idea of BBQ Chicken Macaroni Salad Lynn! The celery seed is definitely called for! Wishing you a tasty Labor Day weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How yummy is this! I have to agree, I just love celery seed. Thanks for sharing another fabulous recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No matter what it is mixed with, macaroni or pasta of any kind works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okeedookee! I have everything I need for #1 and am off to boil me up some noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a pasta lover, these look and sound soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love mac salad . I am a purist, no peppers please! The ham and chicken I would try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lynn,
    Are you ready for some Football, my friend?

    A Four in One, how awesome is that, all of the dishes look delicious! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Your post has been pinned with the party!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!