Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pull-Apart Rolls

My personal foodie focus this year is rolls. My sons love them and they are great with most Sunday dinners. This was a beautiful dough to work with and very tasty!
The boys asked me to keep it in the rotation:@)
This batch was a tad over-proofed (rose a bit too much). 
My tip: Sometimes keeping an eye on the dough is a better idea then setting a timer...

I used a rolling pin and pizza cutter to cut them out. 
My ultimate goal is to find a recipe where the dough can be frozen 
while still producing amazing, fluffy rolls!
Any and all suggestions are welcome:@)

Pull-Apart Rolls-from Elsa Cooks
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 C warm water
pinch of sugar
1/4 C melted butter, plus more to brush tops with
2 C plus 1 1/2 C bread flour-I used A/P
2 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
optional flavors: 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp dill
  1. In mixer bowl combine yeast, water and pinch of sugar, leave for a couple minutes to activate.
  2. Attach dough hook and add butter, 2 C flour, 2 Tblsp of sugar, and any herb you are using. 
  3. Mix on 2 and once it starts to come together add remaining flour in 1/2 C increments, you might need less, maybe more-just watch until it begins to come together. Let knead for several minutes.
  4. Once done cover with plastic or towel (I use a plate) and let rise in a warm place an hour or until double. 
  5. Roll out into a circle on lightly floured surface. cut into six even pieces, then cut each wedge into six more pieces-a total of 36.
  6. Shape each piece into a ball and add three to each space of a greased muffin pan-I used Bakers Joy.
  7. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until double in size-I suggest watching the size... 
  8. Brush with melted butter and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
  9. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits
Full Plate Thursday

24 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to have your sons close for Sunday dinner. I'd ask for these on the rotation, too. YUM! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful rolls! I'm imagining them warm with butter, MMM MMM MMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rolls look delicious, Lynn! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynnie! O, these look so good. I've been looking for some yeast bread or roll to make and I think you've helped me make up my mind. I'm copying this one too! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry...I just had to say it! LOL They really DO make great frozen little buns that thaw quickly & can be used in a pinch.
    I prefer to make my own & will try your recipe soon.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are truly pretty rolls and look like they came from a bakery. I have always been impressed when people make their own dinner rolls, it is no wonder your boys request these! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great recipe for rolls. Perfect for Sunday dinner! You've made me hungry for hot rolls and butter!

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn, Yum! I agree with your boys.I have a bread maker so I never make bread on my own. I am a bit lazy about it. I grew up with homemade bread every day. My mom loved making bread and her six kids and husband enjoyed it and took it for granted. Mmmmmm, you made me hungry for some yeast bread or rolls.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are two ways to freeze it. First freeze the dough before the fist rise. take out the night before set on counter. and let thaw . Put in a greased bread pan and let rise. Then cook as you normally would. Or you can cook them till just before done, then freeze. Let them thaw on counter. Place in oven and finish baking. Don't let it thaw in frig. It will not rise properly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great recipe for rolls! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynn,
    I could eat an entire basket of these! Just give me a stick of butter and some strawberry jam and I'd be a happy girl.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, you are such a wonderful mama,I do believe these would have to be included in every Sunday lunch/supper.Hope you find a recipe that can be frozen,it would make Sunday lunch/supper just that more wonderful,you could spend more time with family,Life is GOOD,what a blessing to have family over on Sunday's,reminds me of when mama was still here,our family always gathered at mama & daddy's on Sunday,what wonderful memories we have.Happy Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Over-proofed maybe, but they are gorgeous!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting focus to have...making the ultimate roll. I love potato rolls but have never made them. They are always so soft and tender. Warmed and patted with butter....oh how can you tell I haven't had breakfast yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The BEST focus to have if you ask me, Lynn!
    It's the best way to entice my boys to dinner...especially the youngest.
    Will there be rolls? Make extra, he always says!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those rolls look wonderful and I could eat a dozen with lots of butter! I don't make mine from scratch as it's just me, but when I get hungry for them always have Bridgeford Parker House Frozen rolls in freezer and take a few out the night before and let them rise - but I know your are MUCH BETTER. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are lovely. I am afraid of making anything with yeast though:{

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lynn, I didn't even know the dough could rise too much! I've never made anything with yeast. These are so tempting though! They really look good and I can imagine the smell and the sight of the butter melting... Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why your sons want these in the rotation, Lynn. I always bake the rolls and then freeze the leftovers. I do freeze pizza dough and then let it thaw and use. I haven't tried my rolls like that though. Happy ❤ Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness do they look good - no wonder they stay close to home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look so delicious! I'm such a sucker for bread but I've been trying to be good for a little while. Pinning for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lynn,
    These are beautiful Rolls, I really like the addition of the herbs, yummy! Hope you are having a great Valentine weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lynn~ I must have St. Paddy's Day on the brain since your rolls look like warm shamrock shaped doughy goodness~ I can practically smell them from here :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!