Monday, January 4, 2021

How to Make Dry Vegetable Soup Mix in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

Walmart marked down some of the Manischewitz Soup Mixes and I picked up a pack of the Vegetable with Mushroom. You know the type, they come with dried peas and a little pack of seasoning mix. It was a rainy cold day so as soon as I got home I started making it. The package directions call for two hours on the stove and I know that works well and helps make the house smell good for a while but... I decided to make mine in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. It only required a couple direction changes and 22 minutes of cooking time total. I had a nice hearty lunch in no time:@)
Most important thing to know: 
Dried peas, beans and pasta will foam up in the pressure cooker. 
Be sure to add a little oil before cooking. I like to drizzle in a tsp or so of olive oil. 

Second most important thing to know:
This variation comes with some dried lima beans. I think you could count them, that's how few, 
but they're in there. For my cooking times below, the limas will still be a little aldente. 
Options, soak them in hot water for a while before adding to the PC. 
Or my crew prefers that they just be picked out and tossed... Your choice:@)

The soup mix I started with:
How to Make Dry Vegetable Soup Mix in the Pressure Cooker
One package of dry soup mix
1 Tblsp dried minced onion-I like dry onions better in the pressure cooker
drizzle of olive oil
4 - 4 1/2 C water. Thinner soup with the larger amount
Any desired fresh vegetable additions-I used a stalk of celery, a carrot and chopped some cabbage-potato would be good
Any desired meat addition-I had some fully cooked ham in the freezer
Your favorite seasoned salt or seasoning to taste, I added a nice big spoonful of Chicken Better Than Bullion
  1. Pour dry soup vegetables into fine holed colander, sort, rinse and drain. Keep little flavor packet with noodles separate.
  2. Add dry veggies to PC vessel. Add dry onion, sprinkle with olive oil and add water.
  3. Set to manual for 18 minutes. While cooking cut up your vegetables and meat. Aim for the generous side of 1/4" thick.
  4. Use manual release when done, remove lid.
  5. At this point your peas will be soft and mushy and the barley will still be aldente. Stir it to mash the peas a bit so the soup thickens up a little.
  6. Add the seasoning packet and your fresh vegetables. Set to manual for 4 minutes. If your family likes really soft vegetables use 5 minutes.
  7. Use manual release when done, remove lid, stir in meat and seasoned salt or Better Than Boullion to taste.
  8. Serve with lots of freshly ground black pepper and if you have fresh parsley handy, some stirred in at the end would be nice too. 

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this easy recipe to make dry soup in the IP Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried the dried Manischewitz soup mixes, Lynn, but it sounds like a nice easy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried those soup mixes either Lynn. It's soup weather here. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!