Sunday, February 10, 2013

Crochet Easter Bunny Egg Holder-A Detailed Picture Tutorial

I love quick projects that make me smile! I've had a chicken egg cozy from a craft show for years and found a tutorial HERE to make a variation of it. But I had a bunny on my mind so I made this Easter Bunny Egg Holder!  I love how the white yarn lets the color of the egg show through.
I've only been crocheting for a short time but I think kids will get a kick out of these bunnies so I wanted to try my hand at writing a pattern and thought a picture tutorial might be helpful for other beginners.
Supplies:
4 ply worsted weight yarn-I used the Walmart brand
Size H crochet hook
Plastic, colored, fillable Easter eggs-standard size, about 2 1/2"
Cotton balls or fiber fill for head
Eyes: either googly eyes or yarn-mine are 7mm
Nose: either mini pom poms, beads or yarn-mine are 5mm
String for wiskers-I used quilting thread, it's a little thicker
Glue if using googly eyes, mini pom poms or beads-I used my hot glue gun
Mouth: optional, you can sew it on with yarn

Directions:
Chain 22, join with a slip stitch.

Row 1: Chain 3, double crochet in the second stitch, double crochet to end (21 stitches), join into third stitch of the chain 3 with slip stitch.
Note: I've been entering the top of the loop for the first row, the pretty double crochet stitch on the inside, so I flip it inside out. Any advice for having the pretty side facing out?

Row 2 & 3: Chain 3, double crochet in each stitch all the way around, join with slip stitch.

Row 4: No chain, double crochet in next 9 stitches, 2 double crochet in next stitch, 3 double crochet in next stitch, 2 double crochet in next stitch. Chain 3 and turn.

Row 5: Double crochet in very first hole, then double crochet 7 more across (8 double crochet total). Chain 3 and turn.

Row 6: Double crochet in first hole and all the way across (8 double crochet total). Chain 3 and slip stitch into the top of row 5, slip stitch down to the top of row 4...

...wrap the yarn around the hook for a double crochet and go into the very first stitch of the top of row 3, double crochet across and end with a single crochet in last stitch. Slip stitch sides together.

Slip stitch up the back and head by using the inside loop of each side.

When you get to the base of the neck add a cotton ball or a little fiber fill for the head. Continue slip stitching up the back of the head.

When you get to the top of the head there will be 6 stitches in an circular pattern. Single crochet decrease 3 times to close the circle. Do not finish off.

Ears: Using the loop at the top of the head, chain 8. Slip stitch into the first loop. Single crochet into the next 2 loops, double crochet into the next 2 loops, single crochet into the next 2 loops. Slip stitch into a stitch in the head to secure the ear.
One commenter said these instructions for the ears would be clearer-thanks: 
"from the last scdec on the head, ch 8. Slip stich into the 2nd chain from the hook. Single crochet into the next 2 CHAINS, double crochet into the next 2 CHAINS, 2 single crochet into the next 2 CHAINS. Slip stitch into one of the scdec at the top of the head."

Chain 8 for second ear. Slip stitch into the first loop. Single crochet into the next 2 loops, double crochet into the next 2 loops, single crochet into the next 2 loops. Slip stitch into a stitch in the head to secure ear, cut yarn and fasten off. Shape head and sew in the loose ends.

Tail: Make a pom pom-Lay a long piece of yarn down the middle tines of a fork. (You will use this to tie the the pom pom together.)  Wrap the yarn around the tines of the fork about 38 times. Bring the long string up each side and tie a tight knot around the bundle of yarn. (I wrap it twice.) Cut the loops of yarn on each side. Fluff the pom pom and trim it neatly.

Feed each side of the long string into either side of the bunny, tie securely and trim the ends.

Slip the egg into your bunny, it looks better with the fatter end of the egg towards the head.
Sew or glue on the eyes and nose. Note: make sure you add whiskers before the nose.

There you have it folks, my first crochet pattern. If you try it and there's something I need to clarify kindly let me know. Tips and pointers are always welcome!

I made a duck in 2014, the post is HERE:

46 comments:

  1. Those are really cute - You are multi-talented. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, making patterns already! I'm still screwing things up so no posts lol but I will try these, they are so adorable. Need to get the yarn. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really picked up crocheting fast. I would love to give this a try. I haven't tried crocheting but have always wanted to. These are beyond adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just adorable! Looks like you picked up on how to do this with ease, I have two left thumbs when it comes to doing anything like this.

    Hugs,
    Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super CUTE! I like the way the color shows through the white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn! These are perfectly adorable! This is not in my skill set but they make me want to hop immediately to the store for yarn and a crochet hook! Love the colored egg peeking through! I predict lots of pinning of this project :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing great for a beginner, and they are adorable! I haven't crocheted since I was a teenager, but I might try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Lynn! Great! And you've just begun crocheting?!
    I haven't crocheted since I was a teen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn, those are so precious! I don't crochet much but I'd love to give these a try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very cute! Thank you for sharing your pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bunnies are just adorable, Lynn! You are definitely a quick learner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So adorable! I'm so making this for my daughter's Easter basket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't read a pattern ,so I was so happy to see the pictures. This I can follow. Thank you, Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute! I can't wait to put out my Easter either!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you have really taken to crocheting! Love this pattern, I will have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so good at getting a head start and the bunny is TOO CUTE for words! What a wonderful tutorial, Lynn! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Forgot to ask, may I please pin this to my Easter board on Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just adorable, Lynn! You are getting so good! Easter isn't that far away this year, either.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've wanted to learn how to crochet for ages and this has given me the perfect excuse, I'll have plenty of time to get the technique perfected before easter and they'll look great at the table when people sit down, thank you! Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darling little bunnies! I haven't crocheted in years but you are putting me more in the mood. I am not promising but I might hunt up my crochet hook. Great tutorial. I think I could follow. Easter is early this year.

    Hope your weather is not too bad.

    Just saw your Mardi Gras cake on your sidebar. So impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute Lynn. For a newbie, you did an amazing job and DIY instructions. Easter and Spring are right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lynn, You put a lot of time into this tutorial. I don't crochet but this looks easy the way you explained each detail. I love the bunny egg and thank you for all the effort this took. Good job.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just way over the top cute, Lynn. I can't believe how good you are doing on your crocheting in such a SHORT time. Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are adorable!! You make it look so easy.. maybe, just maybe I can do it. : ) Hope all is well. I have tons of catching up to do. sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lynn,
    your Easter bunnys are so cute. You could make a variation with little pigs also!
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your little bunnies are just so sweet, Lynn. I have no crocheting talent- I learned the single and the double stitches when I was a newlywed but I was only able to create really long scarves! I just kept going and going.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  27. You make it look easy! Those egg cozy's are absolutely adorable. I bet you could sell them easily.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love, love, love! Going to have to try this one! So cute! Found you through the Hookin' on Hump Day Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love them! I can't crochet .. I'm all thumbs...but if a beginner can make these I'll bookmark this and maybe one day I'll try.

    PS: I'm sure you could sell these like hotcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are too cute! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2013/02/mix-it-up-monday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love love these! SO cute! I pinned them so I could make some for my kids this Easter. Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely cute!! Do visit some of my crochet too at http://livingwell231.blogspot.com
    Happy Easter to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Super cute! I only have one recommendation when it comes to the instructions about the ears - the term "Loop" is a little vague. Which loop do you mean? If you mean the loops in the chain that you just made, you use the term "Chain". So, instead of "Using the loop at the top of the head, chain 8. Slip stitch into the first loop, etc" you say,

    "from the last scdec on the head, ch 8. Slip stich into the 2nd chain from the hook. Single crochet into the next 2 CHAINS, double crochet into the next 2 CHAINS, 2 single crochet into the next 2 CHAINS. Slip stitch into one of the scdec at the top of the head."

    This usually makes things a little clearer. Other than that, a super cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  34. so what is keeping the ployfill from falling out of the head??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neck is a little smaller and I guess the plastic egg? My cotton balls have stayed put:@)

      Delete
  35. You did a great job on your tutorial, the pictures nice and clear and so was your explanations of what to do. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your skill!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I found you through Moogly HOHD link up. I used the basics of your tutorial to make a lamb (no ears or whiskers).

    I also added a snout by putting a popcorn stitch in row 5. A popcorn stitch is basically dc 5 together in the same stitch. It would read ch3, 3dc, 1 popcorn, 4dc.

    Thanks so much for the idea and very clear tutorial! I plan to make duckies, bunnies, lambs, and maybe some chicks (pointy beaks) so our shelter in place Easter baskets will be extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for letting me know the tutorial was helpful! Have fun:@)

      Delete
  37. How talented you are, very cute! Thanks so much for linking up with me at #AThemedLinkup 14 for Spring Crafts and Decor, open March 29 to April 10. All entries shared on social media if share buttons installed.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Super cute! These will be one of the features at this weeks Handmade Monday, thank you for sharing this with us :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!