Monday, February 19, 2024

Fried Cole Slaw with Bacon & Mason Jar Tip

Pierogies are one of the meals in my Sunday rotation and I love to serve them over a big platter of cooked cabbage. The last time I made them I decided to amp up the cabbage a bit, so we had Fried Cole Slaw with Bacon, and it was very well received. I used everything I add to coleslaw except mayonnaise and sugar. And honestly, a little pinch of sugar won't hurt anything:@) This is a nice, hearty side dish that fries up quickly, and is easily scaled up or down.

Tip: I always save bacon fat, it stores in the refrigerator forever (ok, the Food Police would prefer I say, a long time:@) Sometimes it seems we've all gotten so used to the trendy side of Mason jars that we might forget... They're great for food storage! Yep, you can even pour hot grease right into the Mason jar. Plastic lids are available at Walmart and on-line, and the best suggestion... Peanut butter jar lids fit on Mason jars too, and work perfectly for refrigerator storage. This red lid is from the Great Value brand. Gotta recycling and re-using.

Fried Cole Slaw with Bacon
4-6 slices bacon-you know your crowd
1 large carrot, julienne
Half small onion, thin slice
Small clove garlic, minced
Half of a large head of cabbage, shredded
Couple shakes of celery seed.
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste
  1. Fry bacon crisp, remove to paper towels, crumble when cool. 
  2. Pour off all but about 1-2 Tblsp bacon fat.
  3. Add carrots and onion, cook and stir for a couple minutes.
  4. Add garlic, stir continuously for a minute.
  5. Add cabbage and a couple quick shakes of celery seed, stir well, and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until desired doneness.
  6. Stir in vinegar, S&P and reserved bacon.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

3 comments:

  1. I love fried cabbage and adding bacon sounds like a terrific addition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, delicious! I love fried cabbage. I always think of you when I use a saved lid for my homemade jams because you taught me that tip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!