Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Celery Gratin (Or Better as a Cheesy Dip?)

I don't want to call this Celery Gratin a Bloggy Blooper because it did taste pretty darn good... But I'll quote my son, "I'm confused about why the celery is in there? I think it would be better to dip the celery into the cheese". So there you have it, maybe make the nice cheese sauce and treat it as a fondue and serve with vegetables, bagel or pita chips, and bread cubes:@) Actually, I would add some celery to the dip, but finely mince it.

Celery Gratin-from Taste of Home
1/2 C butter, divided
6 Tblsp A/P flour
1 C milk
1 C heavy whipping cream
3/4 C shredded swiss Cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
dash ground nutmeg
8 celery ribs cut into 1" pieces
1/2 C celery leaves, chopped
6 slices white bread, crust removed
  1. Melt 6 Tblsp butter in large sauce pan over medium heat.
  2. Stir in flour, gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Stir in cheese, S&P, and nutmeg.
  4. Stir in celery and leaves, transfer to greased 9x13" baking dish.
  5. Tear bread into pieces, add to food processor, pulse to create crumbs. I crumbled my bread by hand.
  6. Melt remaining 2 Tblsp butter, mix with crumbs, sprinkle over celery mixture.
  7. Bake at 375 degrees until bubbly and golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. 
Try something new and have a happy day:@)

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really good as is, but I admit I really like celery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill would ask why I needed to add the celery (or as he called it once, "the lettuce."). But it sounds good to me as either a dip or a side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd really like this, as is! Whenever a recipe calls for celery I always double it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!