Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Chicken, Penne and Bell Pepper Casserole

This Chicken, Penne and Bell Pepper Casserole is a nice change of pace from a more traditional beef or sausage spaghetti/ziti type meal. It's very flavorful with lots of wiggle room for adjusting ingredients. I've made it a couple times and it was a big hit at Sunday dinner. Leftovers are perfect for lunch, and would freeze beautifully if needed. Extra fun for me, I literally used the last of the peppers from the garden. I like regular size diced tomatoes for a little body and bite, and the seasonings were pretty much spot on. Yep folks, it gets a big thumbs up from us:@)

The only thing I might do differently next time,
add a little spinach (or zucchini in the summer).
I think some extra green veggies are always nice.

Chicken, Penne and Bell Pepper Casserole-adapted from Taste of Home
hearty 1 1/2 C uncooked penne pasta-I used mini penne (never saw that before:@)
1 Tblsp canola oil-I used olive oil
1 lb boneless chicken thighs or breast cut into bite size pieces
1/2 C onion, diced
1/2 C green bell pepper, diced-I cut larger pieces and added more
1/2 C red bell pepper, diced-I cut larger pieces and added more
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes-I added a few shakes
14.5 oz diced tomatoes, with juice
3 Tblsp tomato paste-I used 2 Tblsp
3/4 C chicken broth-I omitted and added an envelope or cube of chicken bouillon
2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 C grated parmesan or romano cheese-I used parm
  1. Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
  2. Cook chicken in oil, remove from pan.
  3. Cook onion for a couple minutes, add peppers, cook until they begin to soften.
  4. Add garlic, cook for a minute or until fragrant.
  5. Add spices, tomatoes with juice, tomato paste and chicken bouillon if using. Stir until paste is incorporated. Add a little extra chicken broth or water if it looks a little dry, I have not needed it.
  6. Return chicken and pasta to pan, remove pan from heat and mix well.
  7. Making two layers, spoon half of mixture into sprayed 9x13 dish. Top with half of the cheeses. Make second layer topping with cheese.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees covered with foil for 15 minutes. Remove foil, bake another 15 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:

4 comments:

  1. YUM! Perfect dinner on a chilly November evening! Think our temps are going to take a nose dive, darn it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love casseroles, such great one dish dinners, and using chicken instead of beef or sausage is a nice change up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great ! Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!