Saturday, July 16, 2022

Zucchini Rice with Cheese -Instant Pot or Stove Top & Garden Update

This Zucchini Rice with Cheese is a good way to use up some zucchini, and also a nice way to change up a weeknight rice side dish. It's another idea where, other than the rice to water ratio, there really isn't any strict recipe. Have a small or large zuke? Use it. Crew love cheese? Add more. You get the idea:@) In addition to being a stand alone side dish and perfect for grilled meats, I think it would work very well in burritos or tacos too. I also like the pretty gold color, just a little bonus!
Recipe easily scaled up or down.
Actually,
I made half in my 3 quart Instant Pot.
this makes five:@)

What's happening in the raised bed garden,
pictures from 7/12/22:
Zucchini, I've been cutting powdery mildew leaves off,
it's hanging in there, I don't think I'll have the plant much longer.
But it sure was a major producer!
Family, neighbors, co-workers... dog walkers...
Zukes for everyone!!!

Cucumbers in the corner, they're producing now.
I made a nice big batch of Easy Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles.

Pepper plants are beginning to grow now that I've pulled the crookneck squash.
They like late summer heat, so there is still plenty of time for them to produce:@)
The pyramid my son made, I 💗 it...
I did move the strawberries to a separate bed and add some portulaca.
Next year it will be all portulaca from the start.

My tomato plants are ~very~ happy!
Fingers crossed I have plenty to share:@)
Nothing turning red yet.

Long view:

The string bean packs said bush beans...
Um, kinda more like pole beans?
So I stuck the arbor in to try to get them off of the ground.
What's the world coming to when you can't trust a 25¢ pack of seeds???:@)
Overall the garden has been a big success this year!
And I've been making notes for next year.
Also have some ideas for fall planting too...
So the experiment continues:@)

Zucchini Rice with Cheese
1 C rice
1 bouillon cube or 1 tsp base or granules
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 C shredded zucchini
1/2-1 C shredded cheddar cheese-you know your crowd
  • Instant Pot: 1 1/2 C water, rice, bouillon and spices. Seal, push rice button, automatic release. Fluff rice, gently fold in zucchini and cheese. Add S&P to taste, serve.
  • Stove Top: 2 C water, rice, bouillon and spices. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, cook until rice is tender, approximately 18 minutes. Fluff rice, gently fold in zucchini and cheese. Add S&P to taste, serve.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

2 comments:

  1. You garden really was so productive, Lynn! I am amazed at the progress through the the growing season. The zucchini rice looks like a great side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable, I swear you can do so many things with it! This cheesy rice sounds great, and perfect side for Mexican...I've got 3 new zucchini recipes I'm hoping to try this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!