Saturday, June 19, 2010

Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles!

I'm happy to join The Tablescaper today for her "Summer Sundays" meme, and Michael for Foodie Friday. To me a big part of summer is canning and enjoying the bounty from the garden. Sometimes I don't have enough cukes to can a whole batch, but still want to use them up... I found this recipe and it sounded like something I wanted to try!
I'm making 1/2 batch and using my Lock-N-Lock bowl.
Cukes, onion and peppers, I don't have bell peppers yet so I'm adding one Hungarian wax and three small Jalapenos from the garden. I wanted to try a pickle with a little heat to it.
Vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt, add lid and shake... this is starting to look good...
Ok folks, this is the first time I'm making this. So I can only say that each time I've fished a few out of the bowl when I walk past the fridge they are great, can't wait to see how they are in a few days.
Gotta believe any recipe by Mamaw has to be a good one!
I copied this before I started blogging so I didn't note who it was from, I found it on-line.
Enjoy!
Day five update - oh yea, these are good, crunchy and sweet! 
I'll keep this recipe, they would be great for a 4th of July B-B-Q!

Mamaw's Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
7 C sliced, unpeeled cucumbers
1 C sliced onion
1 C sliced green peppers
1 C cider vinegar
2 C sugar
1 Tblsp celery seed
1 Tblsp salt
Mix everything together cold and store covered in fridge. Let sit for 5 days so flavors can mingle. The author writes these keep for months in the fridge, if they last that long! 

22 comments:

  1. I'm making these! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our cukes are really long and staying white with just a little green around the edges. They are very bitter too.....any ideas? Our squash and zucks are doing great, but our cukes are just being weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh, sounds too good! I'll have to try it later in the season..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made pickles before and this recipe sounds easy and delicious. I think I'll try it.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouth watering as we speak. Oh my these sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't canned in YEARS! I've done jam but not much else.

    Thanks so much for coming and joining "Summer Sundays"!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!!! I never have enough cukes either and I love pickles, but have never heard of doing it like this. This is on the schedule and in my file. We are going to love this. It makes me feel like happier than a chocolate pig in chocolate mud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd forgotten how much I like refrigerator pickles. I'll have to make a batch. Thanks for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a recipe with some kick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sweet hello from Frog Hollow Farm! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment, I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to leave one. I will definitely be trying this recipe for refrigerator bread and butter pickles. It looks so easy! Thanks for sharing, I'll be following your blog, I think it's wonderful and full of things I love! Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good looking salad! Yum!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, these look and sound so good!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That really looks good. Think I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't tell you how good this looks...we are crazy about pickles in this house!

    Jeanne:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE these kinds of pickles. Seems easy enough to try. Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a whirl.
    THanks for stopping by today too!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look awesome! If I make them this weekend they will be ready for the 4th picnic! My garden cukes arn't quite ready yet, but I'll buy some at the farmer's market to make sure I have these pickles on the 4th!
    Thanks for this delicious recipe! Smack, drool, slurp!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  17. The kids will love this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful recipe. I'm anxious to try these. i know fresh is best, but have you tried canning something similar to this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Une jolie recette d'été à vite essayer.
    Bon dimanche !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thrilled to find another pickle fan! Thanks so much for stopping by Momtrends Friday Food (http://www.momtrends.com/2011/06/friday-food-farmers-classic-pickle-event/) and adding this recipe. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made these last month and we loved them! John even requested another jar full. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!