Saturday, June 18, 2022

Raised Bed Garden: 2022 Mid Season Thoughts & Observations

Please allow me start off by saying, zucchini be cra-cra... And they don't play well with others. Those plants are huge! And I honestly don't know if I'll plant more than one next year. Or perhaps, extend the garden with one long row and stick them waaaay out on their own. Nasturtium in the lower left corner under the zukes.

But on the flip side, they are producing and I always wanted to be ~that~ neighbor... You know, the one that has so much squash she's trying to give it away to everyone... Yes, that would be fun:@)

If each 'box' is approximately 22" square, next year I should plant one zuke and one large tomato plant per box. Tomatoes can go slightly towards the back with basil between them in front. I'll try to corral the zucchini with tomato cages, or something similar.

Cucumbers do require one box and my new Lowes trellis is working out great! I saw a pic on Pinterest adding a pool noodle to the top of the trellis. The idea is, it gives the plant something to gently flop over, instead of the vine bending and potentially kinking and splitting, or getting harmed. Cut to size, cut slit lengthwise, then little cross slits so it can be pushed down between the wire. So far so good, we'll see how it plays out. 

Crookneck squash on right... 
Um, just blew up on Friday, it tripled in size!!!
Yep, squash kinda needs it's own bed...
And lots of space:@)
Each happy summer squash plant can easily fill a 5' circle of space, 
with each leaf up to 18" across.

Pepper plants are ~just~ starting to grow, and I do have several little peppers on each plant. I predict an abundance in July and August:@) If they don't get totally shaded by the squash...

Quick 6/18/22 update:
A penalty flag was thrown on the squash for encroachment...
Had to bring out an old metal trellis to help give the peppers some sun.

Still undecided about the strawberries... For now I'm just tucking the babies into the tower to see how they grow, and over-winter. And true to me, I stopped pinching off all of the blooms, I'm letting some berries grow, just had to:@) As of yesterday I've removed the portulaca and added runners to those spots too.

String beans: I don't think I need to use precious garden space for them, they grow just fine in planters. And since I have the planters, that's probably what I'll do next year. Then as I begin to pull spent plants out, I can add the seeds directly to the raised bed. 

I did pick up a mini greenhouse from Aldi, 34x22x32", mostly as a new toy to play with... My intention is to try to get one last batch of green beans in October or November. We'll see. Also to use it for early spring sowing of squash seeds directly in the garden. ~Also~ to have for critter protection if needed. Even if the cover eventually gets worn out, I should always have the metal frame, making it well worth the $20:@)

And an odd note from a vegetable gardener: I've grown up with marigolds, G-Mom-B always started them in little peat pods on the windowsills. I found a variety called Super Hero this year and have to say, I-LOVE-THEM! What a nice plant, it gets full ~early~ in the season, constantly blooms (I've been ruthlessly deadheading), grows to a nice 10-12" tall quickly, and makes 2" flowers! I could not ask for more from a marigold, and this is the only variety I will look for going forward. Actually, I'm going to save some seeds just in case... 

So there you have it folks,
that's what's happening in my garden 6/18/22.
I hope yours is growing well too!

Have a happy weekend:@)

4 comments:

  1. your garden looks great way ahead of us here in the northeast. great idea with the pool noodle.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still way ahead of us here, note on zuchinni plants, You can clip leaves with a sharp scissors if they are 'attacking' other plants. I've clipped up to a third of the leaves throughout the summer, and it never affected yields---upside you can find the little suckers easily...LOL. Hugs, everything looks super. And yes, greenbeans are a pain at the two inch stage, something always loves munching on them..bugs included. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have a green thumb! I wish I lived down the street and be happy to accept some of your bountiful crop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so impressed with your raised garden, Lynn! Everything seems to be doing so well. Thanks for the tip with the pool noodle and the marigold variety. I got only one cucumber so far from my free seed packet; hopefully more will come.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!