Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Creamy Potato, Sausage and Sauerkraut Soup -Oktoberfest or Any Day

If you'd like to try something new, and are willing to think about using an ingredient in a different way, I highly recommend this Creamy Potato, Sausage and Sauerkraut Soup! While sauerkraut in soup might sound odd, it adds a bit of a tangy taste and naturally goes well with potatoes and smoked sausage. It's rare that I use a whole can of kraut, so it's nice to have another recipe to help use it up. This makes a nice hearty lunch on a crisp fall day, and it comes together fairly quickly too:@) 

Creamy Potato, Sausage and Sauerkraut Soup-from Hot Eats and Cool Reads
4 Tblsp butter
Large onion, finely diced
1/4 C A/P flour
1 1/2 C chicken broth
2 1/2 C milk
14 oz polish kielbasa or smoked sausage, halved and sliced
1 1/2 C cooked, diced potatoes
1 C sauerkraut
1/2 tsp dried parsley-I just sprinkled some fresh on top of mine for garnish
1 C cheddar cheese-I forgot to add this, didn't miss it!
Black pepper
  1. Cook onion in butter until softened, maybe 5 minutes.
  2. Add flour, stir, cook for a minute.
  3. Add liquids, stir until smooth and broth begins to thicken.
  4. Add sausage, potatoes and sauerkraut, heat through. Add cheese if using.
  5. Serve with black pepper.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:

8 comments:

  1. This soup sounds so good! I love soup weather! I think with a little tweaking I could even make this on our keto diet... swap potatoes for zucchini... Sounds almost sacrilegious, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup sounds just perfect for the fall and winter months. I love potato soup and sounds great with the sausage and sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had soup with sauerkraut soup, sound perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that being a sauerkraut lover, this soup appeals to me! It sounds perfect for Fall/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to soup weather---and it looks like it will be here next week! This one looks hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good chucky soup. I was just saying the other day that I must get making now the weather has cooled down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn,
    We are featuring your awesome post on Full Plate Thursday, 558 this week! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us and we hope you will come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this. We loved it! I did put more saurkurt in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!