Darn Good Easy Beef Stew-from Chow.com (click for detailed directions and video)
1/4 C plus 1 Tblsp A/P flour
2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1-3lb boneless chuck roast, cut into 1-1 1/2" cubes-I suggest about 1/2" thick against the grain
3 Tblsp vegetable oil-I used bacon fat
1 medium yellow onion, large dice
2 Tblsp tomato paste
1 C dry red wine
4 C low sodium beef broth
2 bay leaves
4 fresh thyme sprigs-I used a pinch of dry
3 medium carrots-I added extra
3 medium celery stalks
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes-I served mine over noodles instead
1 C frozen peas
- Mix 1/4 C flour and S&P, shake meat in mixture (I use a Lock and Lock Bowl).
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering. Add meat (don't crowd the pan and cook in batches) and brown on all sides. Remove meat to a plate.
- Add onion and season with S&P, cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for a minute or two.
- Add extra 1 Tblsp flour and cook for a minute or two.
- Add wine, scrape up brown bits and cook until thick, maybe three minutes.
- Return meat and juices to the pot. Add broth, bay leaves and thyme to the pot. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for one hour.
- Cut carrots, celery and potatoes into a large dice (I made mine about 1" thick and would make them smaller next time) and add to pot, bring to a simmer. Cover with lid and cook for one hour or until veggies are tender.
- Discard bay leaves and thyme stems, add peas and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Reseason with S&P if desired.
Eat well and have a happy day! Oh, and cheers:@)