Friday, January 17, 2014

Succotash with Bacon and Vinegar

It always tickles me how something as simple as a little bacon, vinegar and a pinch of sugar can transform a blah vegetable dish into a special one! Now, let me state for the record, I love succotash and I'm a huge fan of lima beans... So when I mention "blah" it's for those folks in the congregation that aren't swaying and shouting "hallelujah sister" right about now:@) This Succotash with Bacon and Vinegar is a hearty and very tasty side dish, and a little bacon makes everything better, right?
I subbed a little red bell pepper (added to the pan with the corn and lima beans) for the pimentos, only because it was that or unstuff a bunch of olives... I cut the recipe in half and used a 14 oz bag of frozen succotash. My only suggestion would be towards the end of the 5 minutes, add tsp or so of water and a lid just to make sure the veggies steam and cook completely. Remove the lid and finish as the recipe is written.

Succotash with Bacon and Vinegar-from Southern Plate
4 slices of bacon
3 C frozen baby lima beans, thawed and patted dry
2 C frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
1 (4 oz) jar diced pimentos, drained
1 Tblsp dried parsley
3 Tblsp cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
S&P to taste
  1. Cook bacon until crisp, set aside, cool and crumble. Reserve 2 Tblsp bacon fat in pan.
  2. Add lima beans and corn to skillet, cook until heated through, approx 5 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat, add everything except bacon, stir until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in bacon and serve.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Foodie Friday
Link Party Palooza

27 comments:

  1. can't say i'm a fan of lima beans, but you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me shouting "hallelujah sister" over this recipe! I think hubby might even approve with the addition of the BACON!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a summer succotash salad that I love. I never thought to serve it in winter with bacon. Excellent idea. Have a happy weekend Lynn.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put me down in the "amen corner" on this one. I'm from the south--vinegar makes everything better.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore limas. I love them fixed almost any way.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of succotash, but I've never seen it. The addition of sugar AND bacon makes me want to try it! Interesting indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful, but how in the world can those beans be done in 5 minutes???? I've never had any luck getting them to cook that quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I think the key is that everything is thawed out completely and I do suggest steaming them a bit towards the end. I only had 2 mean little beans that were tough (and probably would have been if I cooked them in my steamer), so it seemed to work fine for me:@)

      Delete
  8. YUM! I'd have to ditch the lima beans for the picky family, but I guess I could always eat their share :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love every single ingredient.....you had me at the bacon and vinegar!!! Never thought of putting it with corn and lima beans!! Will make it tomorrow night with corn bread........yum,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby just loves succotash too. I have looked high and low for the frozen variety but it seems to have disappeared from the Pacific NW. I showed him this post and it is decided that I will make it tomorrow night. I can't wait to see how he likes it.
    Thanks again for another great recipe and I will let you know the results.
    Have a lovely weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love succotash so I was already in the AMEN corner with you. This jazzes up an existing favorite so I'll move on to the Hallelujahs. It looks delish. (My mom makes her succotash with shell beans instead of limas. They are hard to find down here so she orders them. It's delicious too. Try it that way sometime and see if you don't sing a little hallelujah chorus.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A friend says everything with bacon is better, and I'm sure that's the case with succotash!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gawd that looks good! Made my mouth water!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I needed an idea for something I haven't had in a while. Thanks for the inspiration. I can taste it now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ♥ succotash, too!! I can't wait to try this embellishment...yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh goodness, I am straight out laughing at the "hallelujah sister" remark!! You just make me smile, Lynn. I guess Lima beans are not my faves, but your colorful photo is calling to me... and maybe it's the bacon!! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, bacon does make everything better. If I hadn't seen your picture I wouldn't have thought I'd like this but it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hallelujah, Sister! What a great way to un-blah veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not a big fan of lima beans but maybe if I had lots of yummy bacon I could manage! Yours does look good!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bacon or ranch dressing makes anything at all edible. This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE that - going to pink it. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks delicious. Love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're preaching the choir Lynn, we love limas, add the bacon and we're back for seconds :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have can of lima beans, could they be used instead of frozen. I have never used lima beans before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, all I can say is canned will be softer. I believe some 3 or 4 bean salads call for limas and they are 'canned' so why not experiment:@)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!