PIGskin Challenge to try new recipes and give an honest review of them. Most of the things I've made have been pretty easy, but I can't say that about these little treats folks. They are tasty, they are indulgent, they are great... but they are not easy.
Chocolate Caramel Apple Bacon Bites
- Wash and cut an apple in half, then quarters and finally eighths.
- Cut the core out of all the pieces then cut each slice into 2 or 3 pieces depending on how big the apple is. You want bite sized pieces, it's best to get the whole thing into the mouth at once.
- Melt chocolate your favorite way (I used the microwave).
- Stick a sturdy toothpick into the peel side of the apple and dip in chocolate completely covering all cut edges. Place the pieces on a parchment, wax paper or silicone lined cookie sheet and place in the fridge to firm up. The longer the apple sits out before dipping the wetter it gets, I did dry them with a paper towel before dipping in chocolate.
- Very carefully and very gently peel/nudge the apples off of the baking sheet. You may find that the chocolate that's touching the paper/silicone wants to stick and break off of the apple. You really need to have a delicate touch for this part.
- Melt caramel per the instructions on the bag (I added a few drops of water and used the microwave). Let it cool a bit or it will melt the chocolate.
- Dip each piece into the caramel and then into finely chopped cooked bacon.
- A note about the bacon: I did try using my mini food chopper to dice up the bacon... yea, don't do that, I just ended up with a gummy mess. A chef's knife worked just fine. I used 4 slices for one apple.
- Place on a clean cookie sheet or platter and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- They may weep just a bit, but they are mighty tasty!