Update: Ma stopped by and thought these were very tasty!
- A half batch would make approx 32-36 chick size cookies.
- This is not an overly sweet dough, which makes it nice with sprinkling of sanding sugar.
- These cookies puff up a lot, the simpler the cutter, the better.
- I rolled the dough out on parchment with wax paper on top before chilling it. Then used the cutters and removed the excess dough. Then I chilled the dough in the freezer and moved each cookie to give it a little more space.
Hope you love them if you try them!Sugar Cookies
1/2 C butter
1/2 C shortening
2 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
4 1/2 C a/p flour
- Cream butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla and baking soda.
- Add flour gradually. You may have to add the last of it with a heavy spoon.
- Make 4 discs, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to about 1/4". Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Do not brown. Remove with spatula and cool on rack.
- You can use sugar/sprinkles before baking or ice them when cooled.