Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Old Fashioned Sauerkraut Salad

I wanted to use up what was left of some sauerkraut so I scaled this down and served it with our bar-b-que on Sunday. Good stuff folks:@) This Old Fashioned Sauerkraut Salad whips up in no time, and is actually better if you can let it mingle for a few hours. I'd consider this an alternative to mayonnaise based cole slaw, and had some with a hotdog. Simply drain the kraut, don't press it dry, and be sure to adjust the salt to taste. My best tip: I suggest using a mild olive oil or vegetable oil, my extra virgin olive oil was pretty assertive, but did mellow with time. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with this side dish folks, don't hesitate to give it a try if you're up for something different. Be sure to stay tuned, I'll have a little mini series of sauerkraut ideas coming up...
Easily cut in half, 
or estimated for lesser amounts.

Old Fashioned Sauerkraut Salad -from here
32 oz sauerkraut, drained
3 Tblsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
half apple, chopped-peel if desired
1 tsp sugar
S&P to taste
fresh parsley or dill for garnish
~Mix everything together, chill at least one hour and serve.

Eat well and Have a Happy Day:@)

3 comments:

  1. Both my dad and FIL loved sauerkraut---their German heritage runs strong!! I wish they were around so I could make them your salad. I'd love it, too, but Bill...LOL, he'd ask way too many questions about it, then pass. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never had a sauerkraut salad, but I know I’d love it! Sauerkraut is so good for us, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fond memories of an older lady in Mississippi who gave me her recipe---but hers had half a cup of sugar. We toned THAT way down---we all have a "sour tooth," for mustardy, vinegary things, and I was delightfully surprised one time when the Mother of the Bride whose wedding we were catering in Autumn gave me her special Sausage Ball recipe---exactly to Jimmy Dean's recipe, with a cheesecloth-squeezed can of sauerkraut---FABULOUS. I think we made five times the recipe---lots of rolling---but they were all eagerly consumed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!