Monday, February 5, 2024

Old Fashioned Ham Salad -Dip or Sandwich Spread -Retro Recipe

Still have a little leftover ham in the freezer to use up? This Old Fashioned Ham Salad is the kind of thing my G-Mom-B would make. She had a hand cranked meat grinder and wasn't afraid to use it:@) Today we would use a food processor or knife. Grandmom would definitely use this as a sandwich spread, in my world it's more of a dip... The only thing I left out was the hard boiled egg. In my view, that would only be added if she was low on meat, or needed to stretch it to feed more people. Also, I seriously doubt Grandmom ever had Dijon mustard... She'd just use yellow. This is a very tasty recipe that will most likely appeal to anyone that doesn't mind "crunchy things" in their salads. Recipe easily scaled down.

And of course, this is ~your~ salad...
Want to add onion? Great.
Want to add dill weed? Great.
Anything goes...
Don't hesitate to give it a try folks, 
I called this lunch one fine Saturday afternoon:@)

Old Fashioned Ham Salad-from Retro Recipes
1 lb fully cooked ham, chunky grind or small dice
1 rib celery, rough chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 Tblsp sweet pickles, chopped
1 Tblsp sweet pickle relish, or to taste
3/4 C mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
Bread, crackers, bagel chips, and/or celery and bell peppers for dipping
~~Mix everything through black pepper, serve as desired.

Let's repurpose those leftovers and
Have a Happy Day:@)

2 comments:

  1. I love crunchy bits, and this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ham salad and now I’m craving some. My mom had a hand grinder and maybe I’ve told you this before, but she used bologna for our “ham” salad. It was so good! I need to make some. Thank you for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!