Monday, January 15, 2024

Quick Ham and Canned Great Northern Bean Soup

This Quick Ham and Canned Great Northern Bean Soup is a nice hearty way to use up some leftover ham from the freezer. And perfect for the cold snowy weather a lot of us are dealing with right now... My thoughts: If you have bacon fat, sub that for the butter:@) I like the chili powder and think it's supposed to help with the smoky flavor, but think I'd cut back the next time. This will be a thinner broth based soup. I also might add a little fresh spinach once my Aerogarden starts producing, and my seeds have sprouted:@) Don't hesitate to give this a try folks, I think you'll be pleased with this nice easy soup.
Recipe easily cut in half.

Quick Ham and Bean Soup-adapted from Taste of Home
2 large carrots, cleaned and chopped
2 large stalks celery, chopped
1/2 C chopped onion
2 Tblsp butter
1 small clove garlic, about 1/2 tsp minced
Four 15 oz cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
4 C chicken broth
2 C ham, cubed
1 tsp chili powder-I'll start with 1/2 tsp next time
1/4 tsp pepper
1 small bay leaf
  1. Saute carrot, celery and onion in butter for about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add garlic and stir until veggies are soft, about 2-3 more minutes. 
  3. Add everything else, bring to boil and heat through.
  4. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Enjoy an easy meal and
Have a Happy Day:@)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so hungry for bean soup, but our freezer is spilling out at the top....soon, I know I have some ham bones in there somewhere! Our favorite is smoked turkey legs though. Lots more flavor than ham...have a great New Year! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a quick ham and bean soup recently too, Lynn, with a piece of leftover ham. It was enough for two servings and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!