Saturday, December 9, 2023

Toilet Paper Roll Hats -DIY Craft Tutorial (Christmas Ornaments or Doll Play)

Looking for a little craft the kids can make as gifts for grandparents, neighbors, teachers and yes, even their dolls? These Yarn and Toilet Paper Roll Hats have been around forever, and I usually see them presented as DIY Christmas tree ornaments. They can be made in any color, and may I even suggest team colors:@) Eagles Kelly green anyone???

I thought they might fit Barbie (Ken, the kid dolls, GI Joe and action figure dolls too). So on a ~very~ snowy day I decided to try to make one:@) It took me about an hour from start to finish and I used standard worsted weight yarn. This would be a cute project for kids to make for their dolls, and a perfect sleep-over or birthday party craft. 

Choose any color or color scheme... And I only used about a 1/2" circle from the tube, you can get several from one toilet paper roll.

This was a massive storm, it lasted a couple days and we ended up with about 18" of snow... I'll take all the help I can get shoveling😉

What I did:
Cut 1/2" circle from the toilet paper roll.
Cut 10" long pieces of yarn, plan on ~maybe~ 30-33 pieces... 
It will vary by how tightly you push it together around the rim.
Each piece of yarn will get folded in half and go through the rim to the center:

Then draw the two loose ends through the loop:

Tighten the knot along the edge of the rim. Keep pushing the yarn next to each other, and adding more until all of the cardboard is covered.

Push all of the loose ends of the yarn through the hole of the cardboard. Give it a shake, gather all of the strands of yarn to create the hat. Knots will now be on the bottom inside. Tie another piece of yarn around all of the strands about 1" above the rim. (I tied two pieces around it.) Then trim the loose ends to create the pom-pom on top.
You might find this tutorial helpful too here.

Wa-la, a cozy winter hat😎
Make something just for fun and have a happy day

2 comments:

  1. This is a very cute idea! I am going to share this with my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now how adorable is that??!! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!