Monday, March 27, 2023

Old US Army SOS Recipe for Breakfast

I have made, and eaten, a lot of SOS for breakfast in my time. Loosely interpreted, it stands for, um, *Stuff* on a Shingle. In my mind that references the fact that it can basically be made with any meat, and especially ~leftover~ meat. When I was in the Air Force, I kinda remember sausage being added on some days, and it's a great way to use up day old bread... So I was tickled when I happened to see this military recipe on Pinterest, (no link back for credit). Maybe I should just thank Uncle Sam:@) The main difference between this version and mine, I add onion, and the bouillon cube is new to me. So I thought we'd try it, and yep, it's a very tasty way to start the day! SOS can be served over anything, but the traditional shingle is a piece of toast. Biscuits or leftover hamburger buns work well too...

I can only imagine how many folks this recipe has fed...

Army SOS Recipe-from Pinterest
1 lb hamburger meat
1/4 C A/P flour
1beef bouillon cube
3/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground black pepper
2 1/4 C milk
  1. Brown beef, stir in flour, bouillon, and S&P.
  2. Saute, mixing well, 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed.
  3. Stir in milk, simmer a couple minutes until thickened.
  4. Serve over toast.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

2 comments:

  1. It’s a tasty meal, Lynn! My mom used to make it with chipped beef, too. I think I’d like the sausage version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the South we make something similar with sausage, it's called sausage gravy and it's served over biscuits and it's to die for good!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!