Monday, August 29, 2022

Southern Tomato Gravy (Not Spaghetti Sauce)

Got tomatoes??? I've been dying to try this Southern Tomato Gravy for quite a while. And while it can be made with canned tomatoes, I used some from the garden. Very, very, nice:@) This would be a perfect side dish for meatloaf, and I hear it's great for breakfast over biscuits or grits too. ~But~ I highly recommend trying it over mashed potatoes for dinner. Mild, tomato-y, slightly sweet, and you will need to add salt and pepper to taste. Don't hesitate to give this a try folks, I'm giving it my darn good label, and can't wait to make it for Sunday dinner with the boys!
Since we use the juice from the tomatoes to help thin the gravy,
I cut my tomatoes over a bowl.
Optional: Thin with milk or water.
Recipe easily cut in half.

Southern Tomato Gravy-from Deep South Dish
1/4 C butter or bacon fat-I used butter
1/4 C A/P flour
2 Tblsp onion, finely minced
2 Tblsp green bell pepper, finely mined-I used banana pepper from the garden
3 C peeled and chopped tomatoes, keep the juices
2 tsp white or brown sugar-I used white
S&P to taste
Reserved tomato juice, milk or water, only as necessary if needed to thin to desired consistency.
  1. Heat butter or bacon fat in skillet over medium heat. Add flour, stir and cook until a golden tan roux.
  2. Add onion and peppers, cook 2-3 minutes, continuously stirring.
  3. Add tomatoes, sugar, S&P. Stir and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Add extra liquid if needed to thin.
  4. As Mary says: Serve over hot biscuits, with meatloaf, over rice, or grits alongside fried catfish and hushpuppies. 
  5. As I say: Ladle this over mashed potatoes and love life!!!
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:

5 comments:

  1. I have only made it with bacon fat.Delicious over a biscuit, and have never thought of serving it over grits. Now I wonder why I haven't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful gift from your garden, Lynn! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us and it’s uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still envious of your summer tomatoes!! I bet this is DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had tomato gravy! How did I miss this! And made with tomatoes from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had this before but I cannot wait to try tomato gravy! What a delicious idea. I have lots of tomatoes from the garden so I might make it tonight ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!