Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Refrigerator Bread & Butter Pickles -2 Sugars, 2 Vinegars

I do have a quart of my favorite easy pickles tucked away in the fridge, but that doesn't mean I won't try a new recipe, especially when the garden is gifting lots of cucumbers:@) These Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles are a slight variation, and part of what makes them different is they call for white and brown sugar, two types of vinegar, and some turmeric. I didn't have all pickling cukes on the day I made them, so I added some regular slicing cucumbers, and that worked out fine. Everyone that tried these liked them, and the turmeric gives them a pretty color. These pickles, while sweet, do still have a little pucker to them! Don't hesitate to whip some up folks, I think you'll be pleased.

Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles-from One Hot Oven
1 1/2 lbs pickling cucumbers
1 1/2 Tblsp Kosher salt
small onion, sliced

Brine:
1 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1 C white vinegar
1/2 C cider vinegar
2 Tblsp mustard seeds
3/4 tsp celery seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
  1. Wash and sterilize jars (approximately 2 pint size jars).
  2. Wash cucumbers, cut off and discard blossom and stem ends. Cut cukes into 1/4" wide slices.
  3. Put in bowl, add salt, stir well. Place in refrigerator for an hour.
  4. Pour into colander and rinse well.
  5. Add cukes back to bowl, add onion.
  6. Add brine ingredients to small sauce pan. Heat over medium to melt sugar, simmer for 5 minutes.
  7. Pour over vegetables and let sit for one hour.
  8. Pack vegetables into jars, pour brine into jars. Press vegetables down into jar to release any air pockets, add more brine to fill to within 1/2" of top.
  9. Wipe jar rim, add lid, store in refrigerator for up to 3 months. Pickles are ready after the first day, best when well chilled.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:

2 comments:

  1. Oh, boy, these remind me of my mom's pickles. SO yummy---I sure wish I had some to go with my lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love to try these, Lynn! They are a pretty color and I’m a fan of sweet pickles. Thanks for trying a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!