Monday, April 25, 2022

Spring Chores... A New Garden

Just wanted to pop in to say things might be a little quiet for a week or so here at Pig In Mud. I've been working on a new project... After years of deliberating about whether I wanted to dig a new garden into the ground or just continue on with my planters, I decided to put in a new raised bed. And don't let this pic fool you... While Barbie looks strong and capable, she's really not much help:@) It has been a big project for me, but at this time I'm down to only needing a few garden goodies (tomato and cucumber support, critter protection for the string beans, etc). Oh, and a little cooperation from Mother Nature might be nice. Mainly nighttime temperatures that aren't in the 30's please-thank you.

~Very~ preliminary picture, just getting started: As with most projects, it started with just the wrap around corner, and then grew... This is two raised bed sets joined together.

One of the things I'm most excited about is, I'm dedicating one of the boxes to a strawberry tower. My son is working on building it from wood. My wish list included maybe two feet tall (above the raised bed) at most, and whatever he needed to do so I had room for the most plants. Right now I have my stackable planters from Dollar Tree there, kind of a promise of things to come:@)

Since I'm buying garden soil, I started by adding a cinder block, then filled the two center holes with stones from the yard. This should give whatever he builds support, and I just had to fill the outer edge with dirt.

This particular raised bed set did not come with wooden caps for the tops of the posts. The caps add protection from rain and snow and help the posts stay nicer longer. While not ideal (to my artistic eye:@) I am using wide mouth Mason jar lids, they actually fit very well. I will most likely buy some 2" colorful Mexican tiles to glue on top of each one. I couldn't find 3" tiles or that's all I would have used.

So that's what I've been up to folks... Not a lot of cooking or anything else. Pretty much brain storming, jumping on the shovel, and trying to figure out how to set up a kitchen garden, so that I'll (hopefully) be set for many years. 

I hope early spring is treating you well,
and that you have a new project to excite you too:@)
Stay tuned...

7 comments:

  1. it is a lot of work, but the rewards are so worth it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project to be working on Lynn. I love the way the raised beds look and you did a great job. Happy spring gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting Lynn! It looks great already! I can't wait to see it full of growing plants and the new strawberry tower! My son wants to plant a big herb garden this year and I have sort of dropped the ball, he asked me to find him a planter...you've inspired me to get busy! Can't wait to watch your progress~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is going to be amazing! I'm so glad you have a supervisor present! And the strawberry pots look great...and of course its going to freeze tonight! CRAZY weather! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Lynn! Your raised beds are very impressive and with the daily rising costs of food, you’re going to be so thankful to have this. I can tell that I lot of planning went into this. Great job!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love the look of your raised beds!! I have a couple of metal water troughs, but I need more room.... You've inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your raised beds look great, Lynn! Anything that makes the love of gardening better is perfect in my mind! We've had such a chilly spring and how we're hitting 90 today and it's too hot to even pull weeds outside. Crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!