Monday, January 6, 2020

*No Sugar* Sweet and Spicy Mixed Party Nuts

I know that a lot of us have committed to cutting back a bit on calories now that the holidays are over, but... It's the time of year for playoff football and we do still need snacks for that! And maybe something strong to wash them down with if you're an Eagles fan-ugh. I grew up with Sweet'N Low (anyone remember the little packs of iced tea?), so I thought it would be fun to try these Lower Calorie Sweet and Spicy Party Nuts for the games over the weekend. And I have to say, they are pretty darn good! While they don't have a crunchy candy coating like my slow cooker peanuts, there is no mistaking that they are sweet. And you control the heat with your choice of chili powder and how much cayenne you add. Don't hesitate to give this a try folks, I think you'll be pleased, I know we were:@)
Full disclosure: I just picked up a can of mixed nuts at Dollar Tree 
and filled the rest of the measuring up with peanuts to equal one cup.
I'll list my smaller 1 C version below, you can click the link for the original 3 C version.

No Sugar Sweet and Spicy Party Nuts-from Sweet'N Low
1 C mixed nuts-preferably non-salted-mine were salted
1 tsp butter, melted
1 tsp chili powder
shake of cayenne pepper
1 packet/envelope of Sweet'N Low
1/4 tsp sea salt if using non-salted nuts
  1. Mix nuts with butter. (I put butter on parchment paper and melted it in microwave. Then laid the parchment on a baking sheet and mixed nuts right on the parchment.
  2. Sprinkle nuts with chili powder, cayenne, Sweet'N Low and salt (if using it).
  3. Mix well.
  4. Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
  5. Cool completely, store in airtight container at room temperature.
Snack well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Creative Muster
Wonderful Wednesday
A Morning Cup of Joe

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year. These nuts sound like the perfect snack and watching the football games Lynn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about your slow cooker peanuts the other day. I’d love to try this version. I put nuts on my salad that I eat everyday at lunchtime. Thanks for sharing, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sweet-heat combo Lynn! I have a recipe for cinnamon almonds that subs Truvia for the sugar and egg white for butter. I need to try your chili powder/cayenne version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, these sound terrific for snacking! I usually grab a handful of pistachios and almonds, but love this sweet and salty mix.
    P.S. We were rooting for the Eagles :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't you smart Lynn! Great idea!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nuts are my all time favorite snack! These sounds delicious, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!