Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Pumpkin Spice Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole -Slow Cooker Recipe

This Pumpkin Spice Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole is another fun side dish that can be made in the slow cooker or Crock Pot saving oven space during the holidays. But I suggest making it sooner, because it's that good:@) Most recipes don't call for mashing the sweet potatoes, but I found that they get really soft and there will be liquid in the bottom of the vessel. So I just used a hand held potato masher and rough mashed them right in the slow cooker, no need to dirty another bowl. Adding some nuts or marshmallows to the top helps make it a special occasion.
The recipe is easily scaled down to half or a third.
The original recipe added vanilla, I did not. 
The original recipe says to mix everything before adding to CP, 
I knew I'd be mashing mine, I just added everything on top of the sweet potatoes-easy!
Also easy... I'm lovin' the plastic slow cooker liners, simply cook, serve and toss-perfect clean-up.

Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole-adapted from Betty Crocker 
3 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, washed and cut approximately 1/2" thick cubes
3/4 C brown sugar, packed-Can cut back, this will be a ~sweet~ side dish
3 Tblsp butter, melted
1 Tblsp pumpkin spice
1/2 C walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped for topping, optional
Mini marshmallows for topping, optional-I just tossed in a couple handfuls
  1. Place sweet potatoes in 4 quart slow cooker.
  2. Sprinkle top with brown sugar, dots of butter and pumpkin spice.
  3. Cover (I placed a dish towel under lid) and cook on low 3.5-4 hours or until tender. Mine took 3 3/4 hours.
  4. When tender, mash. 
  5. Sprinkle with nuts and/or marshmallows if desired. I added the lid back on to help soften/melt the marshmallows a bit.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

3 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes, and making them on the slow cooker adds ease, Lynn. Of course, I’d be adding the marshmallows on top, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ate some sweet potato fries and now I'm craving your mashed sweet potatoes! Would definitely be a great addition to our Thanksgiving menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why it never occurred to me to make these in the slow cooker! Super easy and hurray for crock pot liners :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!