Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Odds-N-Ends Quick Relish-Small Batch, No Canning Required

My determination to use everything in the little planter garden this year has led me to the last of the green tomatoes. I wanted to whip up a small batch of Chow Chow Relish for some grilled sausage sandwiches and this is very tasty! I'd call it a medium relish, just a tad puckery, just a tad sweet, with nothing hot added. Really??? I debated about chopping up a jalapeno but decided to make a relish that would be good for a crowd. Don't hesitate to use up the last little bit of goodies from the garden by making this Odds-N-Ends Quick Relish folks:@)
The idea was to keep things as simple as possible, so I went with even amounts of produce. If you want it a little more sour, add more vinegar. Like a sweeter relish, add more sugar... Since this is a refrigerator recipe there's more wiggle room. Don't want to add corn-sub cauliflower, carrots, or just add more cabbage. Taste it as it cooks, if you think some crushed hot pepper flakes would be good-add them. Did Granny's relish have more celery seed? Well you know how I feel about Granny's cooking-by all means add more! You get the idea...

Odds-N-Ends Quick Relish-No Canning Required
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped green pepper, add some red pepper if you have it
1/2 C chopped cabbage
1/2 C chopped green tomatoes
1/2 C corn-I used frozen
1/4 C cider vinegar
3 Tblsp sugar
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/8 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
few grinds of fresh black pepper
  • Toss everything into a pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until just about all of the liquid is gone (approx 45 minutes). Stir often. Allow to cool, store in a covered jar or bowl in the fridge. I got about 1 1/2 C of relish. I don't know how long the Food Police say this will be good for, I don't expect it to last past Sunday dinner:@)
Have a happy day!
My New Foods List:
(If my sons happen to read this... relax! I still promise fairly "normal" Sunday dinners...)
hominy ~ artichokes ~ fish sauce (I'm scared) ~ leeks ~ almond paste ~ oyster sauce (scared again) ~ gorgonzola ~ dates ~ brisket ~ parsnips ~ adobo ~ meringue powder ~ fennel ~ goat cheese (I'm told to be scared) ~ souffle ~ red velvet anything ~ curry ~ capers ~ chow chow ~ pot stickers ~pho ~ ponzu sauce ~ fondant ~ fire roasted tomatoes ~ Gruyere ~ Quinoa ~ Tetrazzini any kind ~ Divinity ~ Meyer lemon ~ lemon curd ~ shallots ~turkey tenderloin and Chipotle Powder ~ Smoked Turkey Sausage

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday

20 comments:

  1. You're so good about using up all your bits and pieces of produce, Lynn. I like the idea of a small batch, and no canning required. The burst of corn is a great idea, too. Your little garden in the pot was an excellent source of veggies for you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds like the chow-chow that my grandmother made.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Chow Chow for sure in which I love. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "what's in the fridge [or garden] recipes" Lynn, and the sausage sandwich sounds pretty good too, what an awesome supper!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your approach to this recipe and personally I wouldn't change a thing, although t's nice to be able to change it up at will.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that would be good with your grilled sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your no-canning pickle and relish recipes! Right up my alley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, I bet nothing goes to waste in your fridge or pantry. I wish that was the case with me *sigh*. Love the addition of the corn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so creative! This does sound good. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love condiments like this. It wouldn't last long in my house either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A delicious way to use up all of those bits and pieces! I can see this on a bratwurst!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so good at using everything. Any ideas for an abundance of dill?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, this makes my mouth water and added to some sausage? Wow! You are always having such yummy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhh, this sounds great...and reminds me of a Corn relish that I haven't made in years. Gonna go find that recipe.
    Hope all is good in your world....:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lynn,
    This sounds awesome and the best kind with all the end of season veggies! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice. Love this end of summer put it all together relish. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a relish similar to this that I invented. I call it Kitchen Sink relish because it figuratively has everything but the kitchen sink in it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!