Quick Asparagus and Leftover Rice Soup for One
2 Tblsp onion, small dice
2 tsp bacon fat-olive oil would be fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 C water
1 tsp Chicken Better Than Bullion
Approx 8 spears of asparagus, washed, bottoms snapped off, tips reserved, stalks ground up
Fresh ground pepper
Approx 3/4 C milk-start with less and add more depending on how loose you want your soup
Approx 1/3 C Leftover cooked rice-I used Mexican Rice because that's what I had on-hand
- Saute onion in fat for 5 minutes in 2 quart pot.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add water, chicken base, ground up asparagus (I used my food chopper) and some black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to low simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add tips of asparagus and rice, bring to a quick boil and down to simmer.
- Add milk and bring back to a simmer. Adjust S&P.
- *Now, at this point if you are taking this for lunch in a thermos or plan to reheat later you are done. If you're eating it right away cook for a few more minutes until the tips are tender. If it's not thick enough for you, add a little flour to milk and thicken it up.