Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mexican Rice

My friend Carol is from Las Vegas and she's very fond of southwestern foods. She shared her recipe for a simple Mexican Rice with me and I make it often, I thought you might like it too:@) This is a nice mildly (yet deeply) flavored rice that's great as a side dish or to add to burritos, etc. I really love it, there's something about this rice that keeps me coming back for "just one more bite"...
One word of caution though, don't think it calls for too little onion and add more (as I once did). 
It's pretty much perfect as is!
8/28/16 Update: This is great using the rice setting on the pressure cooker, cut liquids back to 1 1/2 C total for half  batch.

Mexican Rice
half of one small onion, diced
clove of garlic, minced
*2 Tblsp lard or chicken fat
2 C long grain rice
2 heaping Tblsp tomato sauce
2 C chicken stock
2 C water
big pinch of salt
  1. Saute onion in fat for about 5 minutes, add garlic for another minute. *I happened to bake a chicken so I had some chicken fat (which is great in this!), if I don't have that I use olive oil, Carol uses lard.
  2. Add the rice and stir to coat each grain with the fat.
  3. Add tomato sauce and stir to coat each grain with the sauce.
  4. Add stock, water and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to light simmer, cover and cook until rice is done. Stirring occasionally.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

19 comments:

  1. Your rice would be great in burritos Lynn! My eye keeps straying over to all your tasty St. Paddy's Day green :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, that sounds delicious! I'm always wanting to try a new rice recipe and this one is one I'll be trying soon. I've always used chopped tomatoes in mine, I'll have to try it with the tomato sauce. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dad used to make a spanish rice dish. yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look good. I don't like it too spicy so I'll give his a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sure sounds good! I am a big rice fan!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you please pass more of that rice? One of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be perfect with my chicken enchiladas. Now I'm getting REALLY hungry! Great side!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes less is more and simple ingredients make the best food. This does sound like a yummy rice. Great for burritos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds perfect for a side dish for a Mexican meal, which I'm craving right now. Thanks for sharing Carol's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rice and this sounds so good. Making this soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I roasted a chicken this week and saved that to make suet for the birds but now I have the ingredients to make your rice dish. Sorry feathered friends

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe! I added veggies cause I like it as main course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always love it and never ever made it myself. That's so lame, I know. I need to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ingredients tell me that this rice is truly special. Thanks for passing along the recipe. I'm like Mary--I keep looking at your St. Pat's goodies. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing this Lynn, I have been looking for a good Mexican rice recipe and this sounds perfect! Pinned for next burrito night,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've already pinned this recipe Lynn, as it looks really tasty and easy, too. It reminds me of the Mexican rice we get at our local Mexican restaurants. Thank you for sharing the recipe, my friend. Have a wonderful day!!

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynn, I must have missed seeing this recipe since February was so busy for us. Going to make this soon! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!