Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Irish Flag Mint (or Vanilla) Pizzelles for St. Patrick's Day

How about treating the kids or coworkers to some Irish Flag Pizzelles! I remove about 1/8 cup of batter for each the green and orange colors and use Wilton Icing Gel Coloring. Then load green and orange into disposable icing bags, add a dallop of white batter to the Pizzelle baker with a spoon then squeeze some of one color in a thick line against the white towards the back of the press and some of the other in a thick line against the white towards the front of the press. Not difficult at all, you just need to work quickly because the white will begin melting once it hits the press.
Pizzelle Tips:
  • I always add 3 Tblsp cornstarch to my 1 C measure and then top it off with A/P flour. It just helps make a lighter, crisper Pizzelle.
  • Be sure to place the batter off-center, more towards the back of the press. The motion of closing the press automatically pushes the batter forward, this helps compensate for that.
  • For this simple project you don't need to use icing tips, just snip the end of the icing bags off. I did use the tips because I had them.
  • If you don't want mint just use 1 tsp vanilla. If you'd like to make them for Christmas red and green food coloring is pretty.

Mint Pizzelles
3 eggs, room temperature
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp mint extract-any kind you have
1 3/4 C A/P flour-I sub 3 Tblsp corn starch then fill the rest of the measuring cup with flour
2 tsp baking powder
Food coloring if desired.
  1. Beat eggs and sugar.
  2. Add butter and extracts.
  3. Sift the flour and baking powder, add to wet, mix well.
  4. Separate for adding food coloring.
  5. Drop by spoonful onto press, add colored dough by squeezing from an icing bag (if desired).
  6. Bake till crisp, cool on paper towels and store in air tight container.

24 comments:

  1. Those are very delicate and pretty..I didn't know that the Irish flag is green, orange and white.

    I just noticed on your left sidebar, Irish potatoes -candy. My husband talks about a candy that his aunt made with potatoes..I'm off to check it out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever Lynn! I would love to have a Pizzelle baker, it's probably a good thing I don't :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet these are delicious!!!! Thanks for bringing the Irish to TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn!!!! These look great. I have never even heard of a pizzelle baker and it looks like I am missing out!!!! These remind me of Dutch breakfast cookies that my girls love. I am going to see about a pizzelle when I leave here. : ) sorry I have been a crappy blotter and missed so much. : (

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is this! I love this idea, Lynn. You come up with the best ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Lynn!!!! I have to make some for my hubby as pizzelles are his favorites. Thanks for the 🍀 inspiration!! Yea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty and colorful, Lynn...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very adorable! I have never made them, and I should be ashamed to admit that I've never even eaten one. I hadn't ever heard of them until they stated getting shout outs in Blogville.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever and colorful. Pizzelles are so festive.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect for St. Pat's day! Hugs, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynn,
    what a fun to play with colors when baking Pizelles. They look relly interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really great! Thanks for sharing.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always make me wish I had a pizelle maker when I see these. What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so creative! I bet your boys loved having a mom who came up with such fun ideas at the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynn, you are one busy gal. I love the energy you have for all the wonderful things you bake and make.
    You do have my admiration and appreciation for the many things you are so good at doing. The Irish pizzelles are awesome. My Irish dad would have loved them. I did decorate my table for St. Patrick's Day in a small way. I say small because my harvest table is 9 ft. long and a centerpiece has to have substance. I was a bit short of substance. HA! I will make a boiled dinner in honor of my dad though. My dad had black hair and very blue eyes and he woke up everyday singing. He made up his own words and kept our household in laughter every day. I don't know why I am telling you this but those Irish pizzelles really brought his memory in focus. He was well loved his whole life.

    Have a happy week.
    Jeanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn, I am sooooo sending this on to my younger sister, who owns the pizzelle maker!!! What a fun idea...your mind scares me sometimes, ya' know. LOL

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lynn,
    What a great idea, these Irish Flag Pizzelles are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this special recipe with Full Plate Thursday and enjoy your weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are fancy, fancy Lynn. I think of you each time I step into that Williams Sonoma Outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great cookie to serve with ice cream or fruit. I would love to have one of those irons but I would be stuck when I tried to find a place to keep it. Love the multi-colors, Lynn. So festive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! And I do have a Pizzelle maker!
    Let's see what you can do for July 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now I have to find my pizzelle maker that is somewhere in my boxes of Christmas stuff I packed for our move. I bought a contraption recently on Zulily that allows me to roll a pizzelle into a cone shape so i can use it as a mini ice cream cone or fill it with pastry cream...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pizelles are really lovely, Lynn. You are so creative in your cooking.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!