Sunday, December 5, 2010

Butter Christmas Cookies!

Hi everyone! True confession time... I LOVE kitchen toys! Oh yea, and Williams-Sonoma has some mighty fine toys! I just had to give the "Message" cookie cutters a try.
So the search for the perfect cookie dough is on! 
Believe it or not, I don't care for the one that came with the cutters.
Today I used a recipe from King Arthur Flour, I highly recommend this butter cookie dough
for any cut out cookies! 
My thoughts, tips and mistakes:
  • Even though this goes against everything I read, after mixing I like to place the dough on parchment paper, cover it with wax paper and roll it to about 1/4" thick. 
  • I didn't chill it. 
  • Remove the wax paper, then I use the cookie cutter, just press lightly for the words. 
  • Remove the excess dough from the parchment, use a toothpick to get to the tight spots.
  • Slide parchment onto a cookie sheet and you're good to go!
  • Now, had I chilled the dough after I cut it out, maybe it wouldn't have puffed at all and the words would be clearer... something to try!
  • Add your food coloring during the creaming stage. The brown spots you see were a poor attempt at adding some brown to a very stiff dough!
 
  • This is what happened when I tried to use chilled dough... (note the toothpick "tool" again).

"To Santa, From Earl"... looks like someone's doing a little kissing up:@)
I am truly in awe of all of you amazing cookie decorators out there! *sigh*
Happy baking everyone!

PS-If my friend Kathleen is reading this, in the spirit of the season, please don't tell me what these were marked down to at the outlet!:@)

Holiday Butter Cookies- King Arthur Flour
1 1/4 C confectioners' sugar
1 C + 2 tblsp salted butter, room temp
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (or any flavor you want)
2 3/4 C unbleached AP flour
  1. Combine sugar, butter, yolk, salt and flavor, beat till smooth.
  2. Add flour, mixing till smooth. The mixture will seem dry at first, but will suddenly become cohesive. If it doesn't dribble in a tblsp of water.
  3. Divide dough in half, shape into flattened disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
  4. Remove from fridge, let soften for 20-30 minutes, should feel soft enough to roll, cold but not rock hard.
  5. Sprinkle your rolling surface with flour, flour your rolling pin. Working with one piece at a time roll to 1/8" to 3/16" thick.
  6. Cut with cookie cutter. Re-roll the scraps.
  7. Place on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheets. They can be close together, they'll barely spread. (They do puff a bit though.)
  8. Bake 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes, until set and barely browned around edges. (mine took 10 mins)
  9. Remove from oven, cool on pan or move parchment to cooling rack.
Decorate with Royal icing after cool, or if you make regular cut out cookies decorate as you would before baking.

14 comments:

  1. The final result looks scrumptious.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love King Arthur flour...it doesn't get any better than that. I'm really no good with cookies and get discouraged very easily. I think yours turned out wonderful and Earl would agree!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Earl trying to butter up the Big Guy in the red suit???

    They look yummy. My cut-out recipe includes cream cheese. YUM! I bought most of my baking needs today. Let the games begin.

    Have a great week, my friend. La

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookie cutters and the recipe sounds yummy. The problem is that I always mess up shaped cookies. I think maybe I'm not patient enough! LOL. So for now, I'll just enjoy looking at everyone elses creations.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only cut out cookies I can do well are Gingerbread men. That dough is very thick and easy to roll out. I make it one day and roll it the next. I have not made it for a few years. I do not decorate them, just eat or decorate with them. I ♥ Williams Sonoma also but pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She will tell you - I know :)

    I am not a patient cookie-decorator either! I made cookies with these cutters last year and left them unadorned. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, I sense your frustration but the ones you show for Santa look great!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lynn,
    the cutters and the ready cookies look great but I see, it is a difficult job. Not the sort of cookie I love to bake. I would prefer to eat yours, I will bring the tea for that.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, the people online who make decorated sugar cookies to sell for a living make it look so easy. Mine never look pretty! Oh well, they always taste good. I am just so determined to make really pretty iced sugar cookies. I'll keep trying..... maybe someday. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a great recipe and for the tips. I always get so frustrated when I make sugar cookies and then swear I will never make them again!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cookies look great-better than anything I could have done!

    I am grateful you shared your tips too. I will check out that recipe.

    Best wishes and happy baking,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a set of cutters similar to these and finally gave them away. You on the other hand had remarkable success with your pick! I'm pleased with your results.

    Earl needs to kiss up...we had a spiral sliced ham with baked apples and onions yesterday...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw those cutters too- what a cute idea! The cookies sound yummy.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynn, I had a set of those from another season and ended up returning them because they did not work very well with any recipe. I'm SO GLAD to see the you're using them with such success!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!