Tuesday, June 18, 2024

My Barbie Dollhouse Evolution...

I thought you might get a kick out of seeing the progression of what I've used for quick dollhouse diorama pictures through the years... At least I know I did:@) The dollhouse has been a fun addition to my Barbie World. Much like real life, it provides a space for gathering and conversations, and lends itself to seasonal decorating. Clicking links will lead to more details. Why not pour a cuppa and let's take a look, shall we...

From the curb on trash day:
Circa 1970...

It was hard to get inspired and I really didn't get too far with this idea, but did use it for my first Super Bowl party:@)

Then I bought a shelving unit:

It was lighter, brighter, and airier, but again, I really only got one good post from it... I will say this is still one of my favorite pictures, I rarely get decent natural light in my house because of the roof eaves. 

And then Ma found a free Barbie dollhouse... This is a Kid Craft Supermodel House, 47" tall and 30" wide. The floors are about 11" deep. 14 1/2" from floor to ceiling on the first two levels, up to 17" on the top floor with the tilted roof.

Good structure and room (once I removed the elevator and stairs), but man, those colors be cra-cra... So the renovations began... I went through many attempts during the DIY Barbie Blog years, and some were truly pretty awful... But in the end, I am pleased with my final layout and the wallpaper colors I chose. I've had a lot of help and support, and the doll house still remains a fun prop for Barbie pics. One day I'll figure something out for better lighting, that is still my biggest challenge.
I count no less than 22 items from Dollar Tree in this house...

My three main rooms: 
Bottom floor is the kitchen: Still a lot of pink, but honestly, there comes a point where you have to stop fighting it and just work with it:@) I do look at pink as a neutral color too, it kinda works with everything else. I used a Gloria kitchenette as the main work area, stove, sink and counter space with seating. I'm still working on the table and chairs...

My son does a little wood working and built the partial wall. It adds visual interest, room for trinket storage, and lets more natural light in. I appreciate his attention to detail, the vertical slats can be adjusted and moved to accommodate any width:@) But most importantly, it replaced a load bearing wall, so it's for structural stability too.

Update: Dining area furniture just got a fresh spray paint of silver... I likey:@) At least it's cohesive (and works better for now).

Before and after:

Middle level is the Livingroom: The main focal points are the great world map from Dollar Tree, and the redesigned Gloria fireplace. My original thoughts about the fireplace were, it's beautiful, but the scale was more for a Barbie Mansion, not a Barbie Dollhouse:@) The rug is a placemat trimmed to fit, and I'm always looking for Christmas decorations in 1:6 scale... Yep, the poodle, guitar, and bookcase on the mantle are ornaments.


That little cutout on the left became a small office area, you can see it in the overall house pic. Barbie has a desk and special lighting... Still on the to-do list is to cover the mirror with corkboard, turning this repurposed vanity into a proper work desk.

And the top floor, The Fan Cave: Constantly evolving and can change for the sports season or occasion, and furniture gets moved or removed as necessary for pictures... I still have a pool table I'd like to work into a scene:@)

A great space for fun!

Before and after:

You ~know~ I'm very fond of the 

So there you have a little walk down memory lane. Lot's of money, ideas, crafts, and projects through the years. If you've ever thought a dollhouse renovation might be fun, I encourage you to give it a try! The hardest part is finding the room to store it... Mine lives against the wall in my craft room, there as a reminder that blog fodder is always only a few feet away😊

Make something just for fun and
Have a Happy Day:@)

3 comments:

  1. I look at doll rooms as like real life...you never get it right, and home spaces and any spaces morph to the best use of the space and the needs of the occupants. I love you included work spaces...if they have lives they have to earn a living, LOL. Great post and yes it is really getting homey. The pink---is always a challenge but with the silver it really seems classy! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun to see the progression, Lynn. I always admire your creativity and your enjoyment with your Barbie house and all the props. Just goes to prove that we still need to have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!