Saturday, June 4, 2022

Raised Bed Garden Update-Parsley Saver and Repurposing...

If you've ever planted parsley in the garden only to find that it's a special treat for butterflies to lay eggs on... I have an idea to share. And yes, I do understand some folks plant parsley ~specifically~ to draw butterflies to the yard, but I kinda like to cook with mine:@) 20+ years ago, I bought a mesh food cover from HomeGoods. It sat in the closet forever...

I did show how it could be used as a Barbie tent, but, I think it's best use is plant protection. Parsley does not prefer full sun, So I added it under my cucumber trellis. While waiting for the cukes to grow, the mesh adds a tad of shade, and it's easy to add more covering.

But it's really great for keeping flying bugs off of low growing edibles!
The garden is constantly changing, I already replaced this makeshift cucumber trellis with an a-frame metal one. It looks much neater now:@)

And while we're talking about repurposing items... These little metal pegs come with some inflatable yard decorations. While my experience has been, they're pretty useless for that... They are great help in the garden! I used them to hold the food tent down. I also use them to hold strawberry runners in place until they take root. And there are a ton of others uses too, I keep them handy!

That's today's update folks,
Have a great weekend:@)

3 comments:

  1. Very clever! And it would make a great Barbie tent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Lynn. I like the idea of the tent for the parsley. I hope you have a great weekend tending to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have a green thumb. Bill bought some tiny tomato plants that aren't doing a thing. I may need to replace at least one of them if I don't see any blossoms this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!