Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cake

I had a couple apples that were well past their prime so I nosed around the 'net and found this nice little Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cake recipe. To make this a tad healthier, I subbed yogurt for the oil, that turned out to be a good decision. I have to say, I didn't expect this cake to be as good as it was! Since we're calling it a breakfast cake... I'm going to up the nutrition factor and add some raisins and walnuts the next time. And there will be a next time:@)
6 oz yogurt came up a tsp or so short of 2/3 C, so I topped it off with melted coconut oil.
I also cut back on the sugar.
And maybe I forgot to add the cinnamon... ... ... ugh.

Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cake-adapted from Diary of a Recipe Collector
1 egg
2/3 C yogurt (I had vanilla yogurt)-original recipe calls for vegetable oil
3/4-1 C sugar-you know your crowd
1 tsp vanilla
1 C A/P flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon-optional
1 C oats, any type you have-I used quick oats this time
2 apples, small dice
  1. Mix egg, yogurt/oil, sugar and vanilla.
  2. Mix in flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
  3. Stir in oats and apple by hand.
  4. Pour into greased 8x8 pan.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees, 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Cool and serve.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

5 comments:

  1. I love anything apple....and the oats make this health food, right?! I think so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great breakfast, Lynn, and I’d love to try it. Cake for breakfast sounds like a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely cake☆ thank you for sharing ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good, I love that you used yogurt, and walnuts would make a great addition! Yay, cake for breakfast!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple oatmeal sounds perfect for dessert or breakfast! Thanks for the recipe Lynn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!