- Even using a somewhat tart apple like Macintosh, I felt 1/2 C sugar would have been plenty, although the kids thought it was perfect as is. The diabetic site suggests using a sugar substitute.
- I think pears could be subbed or mixed and matched.
- Walnuts can be subbed for pecans-which is what I did.
- Apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice could be subbed for cinnamon if desired.
2/3 C sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C A/P flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional-my addition
2 C chopped apples-I aimed for 1/4" dice
1/4 C chopped pecans-I used walnuts
- Spray 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whip sugar, egg whites and vanilla until light and frothy.
- Whisk in flour and baking powder (cinnamon if using) until combined.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes or until toothpick near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack, pour a cuppa and enjoy!