Friday, April 17, 2015

Creamy Red Potatoes and Peas

I tried these Creamy Red Potatoes and Peas for the first time today and think everyone will love them with Sunday dinner one day soon! I simply steamed the potatoes and tossed frozen peas in for the last couple minutes. Sauteed some onion in butter and made a quick white sauce-done. White sauce just seems to make everything better... Leftovers will be mixed with some grilled turkey sausage for a hearty lunch:@)
I used 2% milk but if there's room in your diet for it, I'll bet they'd be great with anything right on up to heavy cream-especially for the holidays:@) There was a lot of flour in the original recipe, I only added an extra tsp to a standard white sauce and would leave that out next time.

Creamy Red Potatoes and Peas-adapted from Favorite Family Recipes
6-8 new potatoes, cubed
1 C frozen peas
1 1/2 Tblsp butter 
1/8 C onion, sliced thin-optional but good
1 Tblsp A/P flour-maybe an extra tsp if you like your sauce really thick
1 C milk or cream
S&P to taste
  1. Steam (or boil) potatoes until tender, add peas a couple minutes before the potatoes are done.
  2. While potatoes cook, melt butter in skillet, add onion and saute until tender.
  3. Add flour and stir in well.
  4. Add milk and cook until thick and bubbly, add S&P.
  5. Mix potatoes and peas with white sauce.
  6. Enjoy dinner!
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

16 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious, Lynn. All the ingredients are things I really like, so how could it go wrong? :) Thanks for sharing this; I'm heading off to pin it right now. Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stomach is growling as I look at your photo! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! My grandma always used to make me creamed peas and new potatoes, such comfort food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how good this looks! My mom used to cream peas and potatoes and they were quite delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Lynn. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect Springtime side dish, Lynn! Thanks for sharing the recipe for this old timey recipe that we tend to forget about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy! My Mother in Law would make this with fresh garden peas and new potatoes...she used cream also, heaven! I might have to try this sometime myself. Thanks for the reminder about how good they were!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, sounds and looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing this great recipe, will try soon! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potatoes. I love peas. Never have put them together before. Sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother used to make lots of white sauce sides like this - especially for peas! What a delicious memory and simple and satisfying way to spruce up potatoes and peas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminds me of my mom. She used to love making peas in white sauce for a special treat---and adding potatoes sounds pretty darned tasty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never think of peas, and this is such a pretty presentation! Cream sauce makes everything shine!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's how I like my peas Lynn, served up with potatoes! Your white sauce makes me want to lick the screen :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the recipe. My man will loves this dish! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. We tried this tonight and LOVED it!!! My Mom made this a lot when I was a kid, it brings back so many happy memories!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!